chapter 45 - conceded and caught

19th July 2020

"Right lads, hotel room cards are in your packs. There is to be absolutely no breaking of the COVID bubble til we leave London. We have one more game of the Prem season and we must protect the group. Anyone found to be in breach of the rules will be immediately removed from the bubble and play no further part this season. Is that understood?"

Murmurs of agreement came from the players, as they disembarked the coach. Drop of the bags and straight to the changing rooms for them, admin and rules can wait til after the match.

"Can probably see Stamford Bridge from here, a joke how far we've had to travel." Jesse pointed out, from the corridor of the their 16th floor hotel rooms.

"No excuses, we've a job to do lads, let's go and do a pitch walk." Maguire was quick to refocus the group on the job at hand. Jake followed as they headed towards the lifts and down to Wembley Stadium. The stage never lost its special feeling. He grasped his phone in his hands, texting Mase that they had arrived.

Mase💙

See you on the green stuff xx

He closed his phone and smiled to himself. He was nearly as excited to see Mason as he was to play the game. The months apart has been tough, but all seemed worth it now seeing him was only a few hours away. A small matter of a football match to win first.

***

***

Fuck.

Jake was gutted, walking back into the changing rooms. Dejection was across the United player's faces. To lose so convinced was not the way they'd wanted to end their FA Cup campaign this season; their last chance at silverware out of the window.

Harry was usually very vocal - win, lose or draw - but even he was silent. Ole entered and spoke of disappointment, the need to regroup and finish off our season next week. "Have a relaxing evening and I'll see everyone on the bus back to Manchester tomorrow at 10am."

The lads got changed and headed back to their rooms, with little talk. Everyone was as devastated by missing the final, and just wanted to get some room service and go to bed. Jake could barely stomach texting Mase, even though he'd been so excited to see him. Mason had played very well and got on the scoresheet too, which did pain Jake. He decided to shower and be done with his own annoyance as soon as he got out. Whilst drying off, his phone went. The Chelsea midfielder had messaged.

Mase💙

I know you probs feel shit and I'm maybe not as high in the list of people you want to see right now, as I was this morning. But I've got takeout and I'm outside so maybe we can not talk about football and eat Chinese food?

Hmm I suppose we can 😉

Right let me think how's best for you to come up here

Ok you aren't going to love this idea but it's the only think I can think of...

I'm gonna come down with rashy with some mufc kit, get you changed into some and get rashy to distract the desk whilst we go to my room.

Jesusssssss

Right ok

Coming down in 5

***

Getting Marcus on board for his plan, took Jake no time at all and 5 minutes later they were down at Mason's car getting him into a United Tracksuit.

"Right just get you hood up, they'll just see the MUFC colours and think you're part of the team, no question." Jake told Mase, who was clearly uncomfortable in his new colours.

"Looking good in red Mase." Marcus laughed.

"Very funny. Let's get me in and then out of this." Mase replied.

"Oooh keep your bedroom activities to yourselves boys." Marcus smirked as he walked off to distract hotel reception.

It worked at treat and before they knew it, Jake and Mase were out of their kit and enjoying some post sex Chinese.

"What's your favourite takeaway?" Mase asked his boyfriend.

"I'd say an Indian but I feel so dirty after one, whereas Chinese is a close second and I don't feel as dirty after." Jake weighed up.

"Hmmm I'd say a pizza is probably my go to." Mase added. "But I do love a dirty burger."

Jake laughed as Mason's face winced in delight at the thought of a burger. He looked into his eyes, feeling pure contentment, not wanting this to end in the morning. The alarm went off at 7am, Jake wanting to sneak Mason out before breakfast and before the team were awake. He sent Mase down in a kit hoody, saying bye to him by the lift.

"Only 3 weeks til we are on a greek beach with not a care in the world." Mase smiled.

"Can't wait." Jake kissed him and sent him into the lift. The doors shut and Jake turned to go back to his room. To see Ole stood about 3 metres in front of him.

"My room, now." Ole ordered.