chapter 32 - auld lang syne, baby!

Greek gods and grandad

foden: right what time at yours rivs?

rivs: hmmm honestly anytime to be fair
I'm in the house now so not fussed

hendo: lovely concise answer

rivs: close to being uninvited, you are

hendo: you're just sad that I beat you in crossbar challenge

tammy: ooh tbf that's rough jakey

solanke: losing to a keeper ouch

dcl: we are all here for you at this difficult time rivs

madders: I'll be arriving at like 7

feeks: yeah will be over at a similar time

mase: sounds like a plan

foden: I'll be over before that rivs

rivs: cool cool, welcome whenever

***

It wasn't much after 5pm when the door bell went and the Manchester City player was waiting, grinning at the door step.

"What up bro." Jake opened the door, welcoming him in.

"Not much mate, was just kicking about the house so thought I'd come over and chill." Phil said, taking off his Gucci coat and Jordan 4s. They made their way into the living room, and fired up some FIFA 20. A Manchester Derby was the obvious choice. Jake asked Phil about Rebecca and how his son Ronnie was. The old U21 boys had got together and got Ronnie a gift for his first Christmas, which Phil was super gassed about.

"Ahh yeah, he absolutely loved the truck and he looks very cute in the England shirt too. Cheers Rivs."

"No worries. We can be a fairly organised group when we try, ey?!" Jake laughed.

"So what's going on with you then, anyone on the love life scene?" Phil asked. Jake felt like a rabbit in headlights. He didn't want to make a choice for Mason by telling Phil, but also the youngster and himself had gotten closer since the summer U21s EUROs, he didn't want to lie.

"Yanno Phil, I actually am." He admitted.

"Wow man, that's great!" Phil responded, but clearly surprised Jake was seeing someone. "How long for?"

"It's fairly new, only a few months." Jake skirted around the truth.

"Rivs, I'm bare happy for you." Phil paused the game, and gave his England teammate a hug.

"Cheers man." Phil had been so supportive since Jake had told him about his sexuality, and his love and backing had meant a lot to Jake since Greece.

The pair resumed the game and Phil resumed some further questioning.

"So 1) is it anyone I know 2) how are things going?"

"Hahaha it is someone in football fods, and actually really well. Don't get me wrong, trying to have a relationship and not be publicly out is hard. But I'm having fun, it's really good so far."