chapter 61 - under the stars

manchesterunited: tonight's starting 11 #MUFC

liked by declanrice, georgerivers93 and england
mollyrivers: let go @jakerivers6 💕
tammyabraham: back where you belong brother @jakerivers6
domcalvertlewin: yes rivs 💪🏽 you've got this

***

Jake was back out on the pitch only 9 days after losing his dad, a home fixture against Real Sociedad in the Europa League. He did so with all of his family in the stands. Mase was their too. They'd agreed to talk properly about their situation once Jake had had some time to focus on grieving his father, but he'd made the trip up on the Wednesday night to show his support.

Old Trafford, European Football, under the lights. Jake felt like it was meant to be. His dad was his number one fan, and the last thing he would want, would be for Jake not to play. The midfielder stood in the tunnel and closed his eyes, taking in the sound of the crowd. In that moment, he spoke to his dad - a habit he would adopt before every game. When his eyes opened, it was game time.

Ole had asked him to play in a box to box role, sat in front of Scott and Fred. Jake relished the challenge to test himself in a more attacking role - a perfect challenge to throw himself into. And within 20 minutes, Jake found himself surging forward with the ball, found Fernandes in space. 1-0 United.

Shortly after half time, Bruno doubled his tally from the spot. Jake always enjoyed the close footwork and ball control required to get out of tight situations in attack and the find the space. He loved a two on one situation where he had to use his body, footwork and ball control to get past both players. And that's exactly what he did to find himself free down the right. Whipped the ball in. Rashy waiting in the middle. 3-0 and pretty much game over.

The ground was rocking, as the Red Devil's marched toward a famous victory. The clock was winding down, as United had a corner kick. Taken by Fernandes, the ball curled into the box to be met by Dan James head. The keeper punched the ball out to the edge of the box, but only as far as Jake. Who launched it in the top left-hand corner. 4-0. As soon as the ball hit the back of the net, he sprinted towards to corner flag, chased by his teammates. The whole of the subs bench were also racing toward him, like he'd scored the winning goal in a cup final.

Before he was crushed in a loving celebration, Jake pointed to the sky and mouthed 'I love you'. He was then smothered by every single United player. Marcus and Dean were both ecstatic, and embraced him for even longer than everyone else.

"He's bloody here tonight, Rivs. I can feel it." Marcus said in the hug.

"God he better not be, there's not enough seats in the car on the way home." Jake smiled to the pair, which made them both laugh.

"In here always." Dean pointed to their chests.

***

A cheer went up in the hospitality sweet as Jake made his way inside, to see the family. He went straight over to his mum, who'd clearly had a cry.
"That was amazing Jakey." She hugged him. "I promise I won't cry at every game!" She laughed.

"I'll permit you a little cry at this one, mum." Jake laughed back. "Do my eyes deceive me or is that Mason and Molly chatting?!" Jake said in shock. Molly had fair been the most protective sibling when it came to the break up.

"They've been gassing it up all night! She must have changed her mind on him." Jane smiled, and nudged her youngest son, with a wink.

"Mother calm yourself." He chuckled. "We've not even spoken about us yet. It's too much right now and I don't want to make any decisions just based on the last couple of weeks."

"I know love, and that's very smart of you. You know who was also smart and had a great read of people? Your dad." She had wrapped up her agreeing with taking it slow, with the fact that Jake's dad had clearly liked Mase and thought they were right for each other. 'Pesky Jane and her subtle ways of making her point' Jake thought to himself.

He walked over to George, Molly, Niamh and Mason, who were chatting by the bar.

"Whooooop, that was sick JJ." Niamh hollered at him.

"So bloody proud." Molly hugged him.

"He'd have loved that game." George followed in after.

"Class, J" Mason added, as the siblings finished their embrace.

"Thanks guys. Felt very close him out their, it felt good." Jake smiled. The five of them gassed on until Jane made it clear they should depart. All the Rivers gang had been staying back at home, helping Jane go through Serg's things and all the other things she'd had to sort out.

"Right, I guess this is goodbye then." Jake turned to Mase.

"Why don't you come back Mase, drive back to London in the morning?" Jane piped up.

"Thanks Jane, but I don't want to put you out and disturb you guys." Mason replied. He'd gone back to London on the day of the funeral, only staying for the day, and hadn't yet seen too much of Jake since.

"Nonsense, you need to rest before travel like that. Plus it's always nice having a full house!"

"And I think I'm going to go back to Marcus' for the night so you've got a free bed, Mase." Niamh offered.

"All worked out. Jakey, you can travel with Mase to make sure he's awake at the wheel. See you both at home for a cuppa." Jane walked on.

"That woman is a force of nature." George laughed.

"Honestly, she's missed a trick not going into politics. Would have those muppets bending to her will, left and right." Molly added on the way out. They all laughed on their way out of Old Trafford.

***