New Year Same Me

Christmas seemed to be very exciting to Cappy Town. And surprisingly DeDeDe didn't get any monsters. Tiff knows I celebrate New Years though, and is curious as to what we did.

"We never really celebrate New Years, and with what you do for Christmas, we thought maybe you would have something for this too?" Mayor Len asks, the children seem to be excited, and the adults slightly hopeful.

"Yeah! Instead of staying up 'till 12, let's clock in at 10!" Takkori yells out.

"Well," you start, looking at the ground of citizens, "my family would typically have a potluck, like last time, dance, play infection. But, we also had tomalleys we're never aloud to have them outside of New Years Eve, so we always look forward to that. We also make cannolis, which are great too. We'd watch the parade and floats on TV going down the streets, the New York, New Years ball would drop at midnight, loud music would play, and people would dance. If you had a partner you would kiss them when the clock struck midnight. We set off fire works to ward off bad spirits, and counted down from ten to when it was exactly midnight. The adults would get alcohol and the kids sparkling cider. We'd all raise our glasses up, maybe someone would make a toast, and you would drink it, or dump it. And we'd all stay together at least another 15 minutes partying, before everyone went home and slept. At around 10, we'd set off fire works, and use sparklers to draw out swirls, pictures, sometimes wishes. We'd clean up, and go home." You talked with your hands the whole time, making explosions with your hands, drawing pictures with your fingers, pressing together your hand and fingers like you were folding food. It was the way you naturally talked, and it brought it to life in the eyes of the citizens.

Before anyone could speak up, the king and Escargoon show up, in their tank as usual. "Poor commoners, only a fraction of this year remains!" Escargoon yells over his megaphone, a squeals with his voice. "Take precautions against fire and make sure your doors are-" DeDeDe snatches the megaphone from him.

"I have an announcement!" (Shadow the Hedgehogs a bitch ass motherfu-) DeDeDe uses the confiscated item. "For the end of the year countdown, I will be holding a beautiful festival!" The citizens gasp in confusion, before breaking out into question. "None of that!" DeDeDe yells. "It's a firework show!"he points to the sky.
"Fireworks?" The crowd gasps in unison.
"Tonight there will be a firework parade. Of coarse, I will allow you to watch!" Gasps full the small crowd.

Bookem speaks up, "Your Majesty, that's a good idea!"

"I never thought about fireworks!" GUS, the gas station attendant speaks out.
"We'll have a firework display too!" Kawasaki yells, outstretching his arms. DeDeDe tells them they can't all make fireworks.

You start to tune out, thinking back to being with your family, that time you hid in a dumpster to win infection, and no one found you for 30 minutes. Or that time you went to your grandfather's house, and he sat you on his lap, and you watched "The Walking Dead", and he'd tell you about Grandma, because you never got to meet her. Getting to wrestle your cousins on the living room floor. Running up and down the streets bare foot, writing you initials with sparklers against the concrete. Playing "Just Dance" until it was time for the count down. Getting home, passing out the second your head hit the pillow.
One time you and your cousins had built a giant pillow fort, and told each other secrets and didn't leave unless you wanted snacks or games.

You tune back in when they start yelling, "We can do it!" You're just as lost as Kirby this time around.

——

You've moved to the front of the police station, the adults inside making fireworks, the kids out playing with sparklers. Kirby trips, and Tuff lights his sparkler. Kirby begins to rush around the wooden structure, before getting inside. The adults scream, you pull as many of the kids as you can back. Everything flashes white.