Episode 4: Birth of the Shield Knight

Tetsuya raised his right arm into the air as the late-spring sun warmed his body. The gold-silver bracelet on his arm glistened in the dying light. He couldn't stop grinning. He finally had it, an angel tool! Now all he had to do was figure out how to use it.

"Gah!" He jumped as he felt a finger poke his face.

"Your face is going to get stuck like that if you don't stop that," the one poking his face said, stifling a chuckle. It was Serrano.

Tetsuya grinned. "You caught up quickly!"

Serrano backed away and rubbed the back of his neck in the same fashion as his cousin. "Yeah... well..."

"I finally caught up!" Rosa yelled as she bursted out of the dorm and rushed toward the boys.

"I thought that you were going back home or something," Tetsuya said, turning around and crossing his arms over his chest.

"I am, but I want to see your first trial run with Agnes." Her gaze fell to the floor. "Plus, I sort of need to make a call in order to go home..."

"You can borrow my phone and make a call while we battle," Serrano said, putting his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

Tetsuya blinked. "Battle?"

Serrano smirked. "You always used to say that hands on training was the best when we were children." His smirk changed into a sly one. "Don't tell me that you're afraid to go up against me now? You aren't, right?"

Tetsu grinned. "Ha, of course not! I am just surprised that it's happening this soon is all!"

The blue-haired cousin chuckled. "Well, I got to train you fast if you are to become one of these five knights tasked with saving the world from invasion."

Tetsu glanced down at the gray cobblestones.

That's right, I mustn't take things lightly. I might have hesitated to take Agnes, but I took it nonetheless. I got to answer the call to the best of my abilities.

Tetsuya raised his head and nodded.

If what Rosa told us is true, then we are at the cusp of the kind of conflict we haven't seen since the ancient war with Xeleria and Wynaga.

That war... very little is known about life before it or even the years immediately after. It was that conflict which plunged us into a dark era of a multitude of local squabbles as the universal order shattered.

"So, where are you going to battle?" Rosa asked, glancing back and forth between the two cousins. "Hope it's not here. I am not sure about Agnes' powers, but I do know that Serrano will likely create a mess."

Serrano scoffed. "I can control my Aventine now to the degree that its use outdoors isn't an issue. Plus, if I didn't then I wouldn't have challenged Tetsuya. As for the location, there's a special place in this university for this kind of occasion."

"You mean the Angelic Dome?" Tetsuya asked, his eyes brimming with anticipation. The angelic dome was the center of the school's biggest angel tool related sporting events, a modern take on an ancient tradition born out of war games and ritual. Such a location was perfect.

"You got an Angelic Dome here?" Rosa asked, gazing over at the statue of the late King Orlin.

"Yeah. The previous king wanted everyone ready should the Kasai no Ki have infiltrated this far into our clan's lands during our latest war with them," Serrano said, stepping toward the statue which strongly resembled his cousin. "During the course of my time here, I've come to realize that this place was originally built as a sort of military outpost."