Episode 54: Glowing Shield

Tetsuya and the others entered the same room where he and the other knights had had their small 'tournament'. In some of the front seats, Nori and Yuko were busy scribbling on paper.

"Hey!" Tetsuya called out as he jogged toward them. He looked up at them and smiled. "How are the lessons coming along?"

"Rather well," Anis said, grinning. "Yuko and Nori here are quick learners. It also helps that they're good listeners, unlike a certain kid who gave me a lot of trouble a few years ago."

Tetsu rubbed the back of his neck as he laughed nervously. "I'm so sorry, Ma."

Anis chuckled. "No matter, you became a great student later on, at least."

Tetsuya grinned. "Yeah!"

His mother turned to the two kids. "Hey, Nori, Yuko, how about you show my son what you've written?"

Nori looked down at his paper shyly before handing it over to his commander.

Tetsuya glanced down. 'Nori wants to see Ximena again. She was so nice to Nori. Nori misses her. Nori wonders when he'll be able to see her again.'

Had no idea he became so close to Ximena. Then again, I did become distracted by my training to pay much attention to anything else at the time.

"And now your turn, Yuko," Anis said, nudging the little girl.

Yuko held the paper to her chest and looked away.

"Must Yuko?" she asked with a blushing face.

"What do you mean by that?" Tetsu asked, trying not to laugh.

"Y-yuko doesn't want to share," she said, pouting. "Yuko's handwriting isn't as good as Nori's."

"Ehh?" Nori said, jumping out of his seat. "What is Yuko talking about? Yuko's writing is better than Nori's!"

Yuko pouted.

"Is Yuko hiding something?" Nori said, tilting his head at her. He leaned in curiously, causing Yuko to turn away from him.

"Wah?" she said, hugging the paper tighter.

Nori's head slumped. "Nori didn't think Yuko would hide something from him."

"Nori," she said, looking back at him. She took a deep breath before turning to look at Tetsu. She held out her paper toward the brunette knight while holding her eyes shut tight.

"Okay," Tetsuya said, blinking. He took the paper and saw some words scribbled across it. It was still sloppy writing, but surprisingly good for a kid who until now hadn't written. And it was better than Nori's barely legible chicken scratch.

'Yuko wonders why Master spends so much time with the princess. Yuko wishes Master would spend as much time playing with Yuko...'

Tetsu glanced up at the little girl who was hiding her face behind her tiny hands. Yuko turned away as soon as she noticed he was staring. He could see traces of luminescent blush on her face.

"Let me see?" Teresa said, snatching the two papers. "Hmm..."

"What? Is something wrong?" he asked, glancing over his sister's shoulder.

Teresa giggled and handed the papers back to the kids. "Nothing more than a silly thought, ignore it."

The knight narrowed his eyes at his sister and sighed. He didn't like it when she was like that. He definitely knew something was on her mind, but what could it be?

He glanced up at Yuko and smiled. "Hey, kiddo. Wanna help me make some cookies after this?"

Yuko's face brightened. "Yeah!" she said, perhaps a little too loudly for her own liking as she quickly slumped in her chair and hid her face.