Episode 76: Bitter Escape

[Dungeon]

"Are you alright?" Etsuo asked as he watched Kiara open her eyes. "Do you feel any pain?"

"I'm fine," Kiara said, smiling slightly. She stared at the four-inch scar running down his chest. "That wound..."

Etsuo touched the scar and smiled. "It's fine. It's healing. My regenerative abilities are still active, though far slower than usual."

"If you like, I can heal it for you," Serrano said, smiling.

The white-haired teen smiled back. "Thanks. Though, it will look bad if you heal me. Like that guy said, it's unwise to be kind to the enemy. You saw how Roa and I took advantage of the princess's kindness."

Serrano snickered. "Kiara here told me your reasons for joining Roa and Satoru on this mission. You are one who would rather not fight, isn't that right?"

Etsuo lowered his head. Zionia might've had its number of mean people, but it also had so many kind people. The ones around his age were wildly different than the kids in his town. In a way, he could see how his uncle Skah turned out the way he did and why his aunt Selena and his late uncle decided to stay in Zionia. This world was filled with radiance.

"Yeah, it's true. Though, can you truly trust my words?" Etsuo asked, keeping his head down.

The Seven-Hill knight tilted his head. "True, you could've lied to Kiara, but why would you bring up the possibility if your attempt is to deceive?"

"How is everything coming along?" Setsuko asked as she descended the stone stairs. Her eyes widened as soon as she saw the wound on Etsuo's chest and the blood in the cell. "What happened here?"

"Naoru pushed Kiara and stabbed Etsuo. The guy tried taking control of who guards Etsuo. I sent him outside if you wish to speak with him. Though, he claims that your father gave him orders to watch over Etsuo's guards and take over should he deem them unfit."

"I'll go speak with him now," Setsuko said, turning around. "He'll learn to be respectful of others. Simply because Etsuo is a war captive doesn't give him the right to mistreat people."

"You won't be going anywhere," a voice called out.

Setsuko stepped back as a red-haired girl with an eye-patch on her forehead descended the steps. "Who are you, and how did you get inside?"

"My name is Mei Sun Wukong, and I'm here for my big brother!" she said, holding a hand out.

"Mei!" Etsuo yelled. "What are you doing here?"

"Papa sent me to save you upon my request. Don't worry, big brother, I'll deal with these guards soon."

She removed the eye patch on her forehead to reveal a third eye. The eye opened and unleashed a brilliant golden aura that spread throughout the palace grounds.

Serrano stared at his hands as the light subsided. "I... I don't feel any different."

"She shut down your powers," Setsuko said as she knelt down. She transformed her ankle bracelet into its meteor hammer form.

"My powers?" Serrano tried to have shadows materialize in his hands, yet nothing happened. "You're right!"

Mei gasped. "What? How can you..."

Setsuko grinned. "The king had me stay back for one reason, and that reason is not due to my status as heir. This here weapon is called Alma," the princess said, raising her weapon's chain. "It was created with some extraordinary stones containing an angel who can feel all. Whenever one tries to mess with my senses, it allows me to override those effects. Just now, you broke the connection the others had with mana, didn't you?"