Episode 57: Compassion for the Enemy

Suzuki chuckled and held out her hands with palms facing upwards. Giant pillars of greenish-black fire erupted from them, reaching several meters high.

"Wow," Eita said, floating backward. "She really means business."

"Eita, do Nori a favor and take Kohri and the others away from here," Nori said, keeping his eyes on Suzuki.

"Wait, what? Are you telling me that you expect me to leave you alone with her?"

"They have lost a lot of blood. Nori isn't sure why Master Kuroshi hasn't come to help them, but in the meantime, get them away from here. Nori would do it, but you can fly and are stronger than Nori, physically."

"Good point," Eita said, dashing over to grab Barosco and Kohri. "Hey, last long enough for me to return, alright?"

Nori smiled. "Sure!"

Eita's wings elongated, and he ascended into the air. "Be right back!"

"Where do you think you're going?" Suzuki asked, glaring at him.

The blond grinned. "To get some medical aid, of course. Even though I have no idea where Kuroshi is."

"That was a rhetorical question," Suzuki said as she vanished only to reappear a second after in front of him. Eita gasped as Suzuki delivered a flaming kick to his abdomen, sending him flying away.

"Eita!" Nori yelled.

Suzuki turned toward the little boy. "There's no one to rescue you now. Come, 'kitten', show me what makes you think you can take me down! Or will you go after your ally to help him?"

Nori stared her down. "Eita is strong, Eita should be fine. As for Nori, Nori will save Suzu!"

"Ha, you save me? You won't even be able to save yourself!" she said as spheres of flame danced around her.

Nori covered his body in a reddish-golden aura shaped like a cat. "Nori shall save Suzu. If Nori can't save anyone, then what kind of priest will Nori be?"

"Priest?" Suzuki asked, scoffing. "A kid like you? You aren't even of this world."

Nori gasped.

"I couldn't tell in my regular form, but these demon powers allow me to. You aren't all that different from a demon yourself, are you, 'kitten'?"

Nori's hands shook. "Nori is a mage, not a demon," he said, spinning his wooden staff.

"Is that so?" Suzuki asked as she unleashed the fireballs upon the child.

Nori didn't move out of their way. Instead, he held a hand out and said a silent prayer as he closed his eyes. In his stretched out hand appeared a wooden staff while silver and gold chains emerged from his back as if they were wings.

Suzuki narrowed her eyes at him as her flames were blown away by an invisible force. The spiritual pressure around him was intensifying.

He's only a kid, yet he can already exhibit this kind of power. No wonder they had him join this ragtag army. It must be the same case with his friend, Yuko.

[Meanwhile- several miles to the east]

Rosa glanced up at the sky as clouds began to blot out the sun's rays. She could've sworn she saw Nori moving across the air like a ninja a while ago.

"Was that Nori a moment ago?" Etsuo asked.

Roa chuckled. "Nori? He's a little kid."

"Just because he's little, it doesn't mean he isn't capable of great things," Takuya said as he stared at the sky too. "If that was Nori, then my lil bro and sis must be drawing near."