Episode 48: Memories of Another Time

Serrano and Setsuko arrived at the park that Rosalba had specified. It was only a few miles west of the palace and laid in the view of the tallest and widest skyscraper in all of Kuroriku, Crystal Spire. The park itself was large, encircling the entire western area of the tower and spanning on for several miles until one arrived at the residential district.

Serrano stared at one of the cherry blossom trees as they moved toward the center of the rim closest to the tower. There was only one flower left on the tree.

"They're pretty, aren't they?" Setsuko said, putting her hands behind her back. "Too bad their flowers are short-lived. Not to mention, their petals are easily blown away by the wind like a small flame."

Serrano stopped as he felt a gust of wind against his back. He watched in dismay as the wind took away the petals of the last flower, rending the tree devoid of them.

Setsuko lowered her head and grabbed his hand. "Come, let's go."

He nodded and followed her.

"Hey, mommy!" he heard a kid yell as she ran past them. Serrano turned around and watched as the kid ran to one of the hundreds of benches spread throughout the park. Seated on one of them was a woman with a phone.

"Want a lick?" she asked with a wide grin.

The woman glanced up from her phone and glared at the child holding up an ice cream cone. She swatted it out of her hands, sending it into one of the bushes behind the bench. "I told you not to buy that stuff! You'll end up fat! Do you want to be made fun of?"

"N-no..." the child said, lowering her head as tears threatened to spill over. "B-but I wanted to share with mommy."

The woman scoffed. "Please child, leave my sight and go and play with your friends or something. I'm busy working on this deal."

"Is that any way to talk to her?" Setsuko snapped as she clenched her hands tightly.

The woman looked up from her phone once more and saw the young woman dressed in short jeans and a simple blouse. "Who are you to tell me how to raise my children? Do you have any of your own to judge? Now run along, you stupid peasant. Not sure why they even allow people of your caliber here." She stood up and walked away. "Well, at least you aren't one of those slum dwellers."

Setsuko raised a fist, but Serrano pulled it down. Her arm shook. "Let me go," she said in a low voice.

"Don't," Serrano whispered.

The little girl tugged at Setsuko's shirt. "It's fine... Maya doesn't mind... Mommy's right. Maya will get fat if she eats ice cream." The girl let out a choking sound. Tears and snot spilled down her face. She sniffed and let go of the princess and ran off in the opposite direction her mother had gone.

"I'll go look for that sorry excuse of a mother," Setsuko muttered as she turned around. She expected Serrano to stop her at any moment, but it didn't come. She turned around and saw he was gone.

The silver-eyed knight had chased after the crying little girl who was running without looking where she was going.

"Hey, you're going to get lost!" Serrano yelled. He sighed as she continued to run. He sped up and appeared in front of her.

The girl blinked and glanced up to see him. "Wah, who are you?"

Did she not pay attention to me back there?

"I'm the boyfriend of that girl back there. I saw you run off, so I chased after you," he responded as he squatted so that he could be at her eye level. He took out his handkerchief and wiped the little girl's tears. "It's not a good idea to run off like that."