Episode 30: Journey Home

[Days Later- Elitia University]

Tetsuya finished packing his stuff into boxes as a gentle breeze cooled down the room. He snuck a glance at the golden letter on top of the nightstand and quickly picked it up.

"Are you done yet?" Serrano asked as he entered. "I finished checking us out."

Tetsu nodded, taking another glance at the letter he had received a week ago. It was from Rosa, who was wishing him luck and how she looked forward to seeing him once again. Though he dreaded seeing her again. He hadn't been able to activate Agnes since the battle with Suzuki weeks ago. If she knew, she would be disappointed in him.

"Yeah," Tetsu said, slipping the letter back into the pockets of his washed-out blue jeans. "Let's get going."

Serrano's eyes were focused on his cousin's hidden hand. Tetsuya gulped. Did he notice? Serrano smiled, picked up his stuff, and headed toward the door as if seeing Tetsu hold a golden letter was something he saw every day.

"Hey. What are you going to do now? Find a school to teach at?" he asked as they both walked down the hall.

"I'm going to try to get a job as a substitute and earn enough money for grad school. I want to get my master's degree," Tetsuya responded as he looked down at the big box in his arms.

Serrano chuckled. "Don't worry about getting a substitute job. After serving as an active knight, your graduate school fees will be paid in full."

Tetsuya smiled. "I sure hope so... but that's only if they accept me as a knight." He stared at his bracelet and sighed. "So, how about you?"

Serrano closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm going to be returning to the capital. There's something that I must do there."

"Does it involve the upcoming war? Or perhaps your engagement?" Serrano was engaged to some girl whom Tetsu had yet to even meet. He didn't talk much about her. It almost as if he wasn't too fond of the idea of marrying for reasons other than love. Though Tetsuya didn't blame him. Marrying for interest was never his thing either.

His face flushed a little as he opened the door. "K... kind of. But not really."

Tetsuya raised an eyebrow and snickered. "What kind of answer is that? Heavens, you're awful at deflecting."

Serrano remained silent, speeding up.

"Hey!" Tetsuya yelled, chasing after him. He's hiding something, but what?

The two of them descended down a pair of glass stairs to the first floor, where several others littered the area. Some decided to abandon furniture outside, while others had movers take it out to take it to wherever they were going. Serrano and Tetsuya couldn't afford such luxuries. They instead had rented all of their furniture directly from a school organization. They were to pick the stuff up once they vacated the apartment.

"Serrano! Tetsuya!" Ximena yelled as she jogged toward them. "You two returning home?"

"Yeah," Serrano answered, grinning. There was a hint of blush behind his smile. "This city is nice, but home is where the heart is."

"True," she said, crossing her arms. "Hey, I just wanted to..." A couple of hands pushed her away.

Several girls had gathered around Serrano and Tetsuya-like usual.

"Tetsuya, give me your phone number!" one asked, well, more like demanded. She stared at him with eyes sparkling.

"I... I don't have one," Tetsuya responded, backing away. It wasn't a lie. He actually didn't have one, not even an old fashioned one. And owning a cell phone was out of the question with his ma's small salary and his lack of a job.