Episode 50: The Threat of Crystal Spire

Teresa got up as soon as the first rays of dawn hit and ran downstairs. She wanted to wake up her little brother, but to her surprise, he wasn't in his room.

She smiled. That kid must really be pushing himself.

"Oh, hey, Teresa," a voice called out, causing her to turn to her left. Waving at Teresa was the orange-reddish haired young man whose name she had forgotten.

"Hello, uh..."

He snickered and stretched out his hand. "I'm Nicolás Ayala, you can call me Nico for short. If you're looking for Sir Tetsuya, he was heading off to the Angelic Dome. Plan on joining him?"

Teresa crossed her arms over her chest and tilted her head. Nico was wearing black pants, a white t-shirt, and a red jersey jacket.

"Maybe later. Looking at ya clothes, I assume you're either going to join him or off to a jog?"

"The latter. I'll be joining Sir Tetsuya and the others once I'm done. If you're not going to the Angelic Dome, then would you care to join me?"

She smiled. "I won't mind. It's kinda my routine to go out first thing in the morning anyway."

"Really? It's one of mine too! I guess that explains why you're dressed that way too," Nico said, grinning widely. Teresa marveled at his smile. It reminded her of her brothers'. "In that case, let's go!"

Teresa chuckled at his comment about her clothes.

More like these are the only clothes I have other than those I'd worn for the past two days.

"So, how about we get going?" he asked with a friendly smile.

"Sure!" Teresa said, nodding.

"So, where do you want to run?"

She raised her hands toward the silver ceiling of the hallway. "How about the park where we had ice cream the other day?"

Nico's smile vanished. "Why there?"

"There's a circular sidewalk there around the tower. Plus, it's one of the few green spaces I know. But if ya want to go someplace else, that's fine."

Nico lowered his head. His hands were curled into fists.

"Hey, are you alright?"

He raised his head and flashed her a toothy smile. "Huh? Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Teresa frowned. I can recognize a fake smile when I see one. Though it'll be best not to pry. The last time I did that was with Zafir. Zafir, wonder what he's up to right now...

***

In the end, Teresa and Nico went to the park where she and the others had met Maya the previous day. Teresa marveled at the tower as they ran circles around it. It's crystal body reflected the purple and orange colors of the blazing sky overhead, making it resemble a pillar of Ametrine.

"Pretty, isn't it?" Nico asked as he ran on ahead of her.

Teresa saw that he had a stoic face. Did something about the tower bother him?

"Hey!" Teresa yelled, hurrying up.

"Hmm?" he mumbled as he turned to look back at her.

"Is something the matter? I meant it when I said I was fine going someplace else."

Nico came to an abrupt stop. His green eyes shifted up the tower until they reached the top of it. "I sense something. There's someone up there!"

Tere blinked. "Someone?"