Episode 73: Promise to Protect

[Colosseum Room]

Teresa grumbled as her weapon failed to hurt the girl. She was sure that her attack had struck. Perhaps she had super speed, and the girl standing in front of her was an afterimage.

She jumped back. "Everyone, be careful. She could sneak up on any of us!"

Suddenly, she felt a sudden chill in the room. But it wasn't due to the girl. She could feel that Tetsuya was in danger. They needed to go save him and the others as fast as they could. Though how could they with people in their way? Especially against someone who even Zafir couldn't hit?

Zafir smiled at the blond girl dressed in all white. "I'm not sure how you keep on avoiding our attacks, but you can't do so forever." He held out his hand and formed a sword formed out of water.

"Who said anything about avoiding them?" she asked as the sword went through her as if she were a hologram.

Zafir jumped back. "An illusion?"

"Nope," Man-kin said as he appeared behind Zafir. The young man tapped the back of Zafir's armor, causing the prince to fall to his knees.

"Zafir?" Teresa said. Her hands quivered. What did the kid just do to Zafir? Was there some kind of sound wave that passed through the armor and struck his injured back?

Zafir grunted and pushed himself back up. He swung his left fist at the kid as he moved his body toward the right. Man-kin smiled and caught the fist with his bare-hand. "Nice try."

As soon as the boy let go, Zafir collapsed to the floor again, this time at an awkward left angle. It was as if his own fist had pulled him down.

Teresa raised her naginata. "Damn ya! Why don't cha get out of our way?" she yelled, swinging her weapon toward her right.

"Hold up," Nico said, touching her left shoulder.

"I need to save Zafir. He's the strongest of us here. Y-yet this kid is making a mockery out of him," Teresa said, glaring the boy who was now busy dodging earth pillars made by her older brother. "Hold him down, Taku! I'll take him down."

Nico sighed as he continued to restrain her. "That's why I am telling you to hold up. That boy is using some weird kind of technique. Either using sound to incapacitate his opponent or something similar." He turned toward the sister. "While she must be casting some sort of illusory art that makes one think that they're hitting her. Or maybe, she can bend the space. Likely at tiny degrees, which cause the path of objects to be shifted without the attacker being able to notice said bent until it's too late."

Teresa stared at him in amazement. "Those are some interesting theories ya got there. Ya some genius or something?"

Nico chuckled. "Genius? They aren't anything major. Plus, we first need to test them out. It's possible that I'm way off the mark here. How about Akari and you go find an exit? Your brother, Zafir, and I can handle this."

Teresa smiled. "Thanks, Nico."

"No need to thank me. I know how it feels to want to see your sibling, yet have others stand in your way," he said, closing his eyes for a bit.

He means Maya, doesn't he? I wish I could help him like he was helping me. We never got the chance to tell Serrano, Kohri, and Rosa about the tower because of training and that no good fox appearing. Only those three or another of the Seven Hills can help him gain access to the skies over the crystal tower.

Wonder why that fox appeared at the tower earlier in the day... Was he plotting something there too?

Teresa turned around but not before lightly tapping Nico on the back. "Stay strong, don't let them get you down."