Episode 60: The Wait Ends

Hideo waved at his father and brother as he cut down thick, dried, brush with blades of wind.

"B-big bro," Dan said, waving as he cut the grass on his side using a miniature wind scythe.

The young knight flashed his little brother a broad grin. Though that smile vanished as soon as he saw the bandages on his little brother's wrists. He had heard from his mother that his father put them on Dan to restrain him should he attempt to take his own life again.

Dan lowered his head. "Y-you heard, didn't you?" the younger brother asked with a whimper.

Hideo looked away. "Y-yeah. We did."

"Dan! Dad!" Kiara yelled. Etsuo was carrying her on her back and running relatively fast.

"H-hey sis," Dan said, looking up. He gasped as soon as he saw Etsuo. "Y-you got yourself a b-boyfriend?"

Hideaki narrowed his eyes at Etsuo.

"Is that so?" Hideaki asked.

"Dad! Dan! Etsuo isn't my boyfriend!" Kiara said, grumbling. She looked down at Etsuo. "Forgive my little brother and dad."

Etsuo snickered. "It's fine. I would probably think the same too if I were him."

Kiara laughed nervously. "I guess."

Hideo turned to look at the girl who was with Hideaki. "Who is this?"

The white-haired girl scoffed as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Is that any way to ask? I thought that you were a noble of the Makkuroyama family, not a peasant," she said, flipping her hair. "But I'll indulge you this one time. I am Princess Koukyuu Zettai Kasai no Ki."

"Zettai?" Etsuo said, gasping.

"You have heard of us?" Koukyuu said, tilting her head at him. "Not to say that I am all that surprised, the Zettai's history is not limited to only Xeleria after all."

"Or maybe it's because he's supposedly from Tora," Hideo grumbled as he turned away from her.

Koukyuu looked at Etsuo's golden eyes. "Tora? Are you perhaps related to the royal family? Are you a Hoshi?"

"I heard he is one, but not sure about the royal thing," Hideo said.

"I asked him, not you," Koukyuu said, shaking her head at him. She turned toward Hideaki. "Sir, with all due respect, you would be wise to teach this boy some manners."

"B-boy?" Hideo yelled. "For your information, I'm a man already! I'm eighteen!"

"Yuko knows the feeling of a mistaken age," the little girl said as she emerged from a black vortex. Alongside her was Kuroshi, the portal's likely creator.

"Come on, you can all continue your discussion at the palace. King Osamu is probably back now with the others," Kuroshi said.

Dan closed his eyes after looking into the portal.

"It's alright, Dan," Hideo said with a soothing voice. "I got you." He grabbed Dan's trembling hand and followed the others inside.

The interior of the portal was like a short black hallway.

"So, you are eighteen, knight?" Koukyuu asked.

"Ye-yeah, h-he is," Dan responded for his brother.

She chuckled. "So, it seems that you skipped out on your milk and veggies."

"Hey!"

Kiara giggled. "You guessed it!"

Hideo grumbled as they emerged from the portal. They had appeared in the gardens of the palace for some reason rather than the interior.