Episode 1: Rose and Iron

The sun shone high above in the cloudless cerulean sky. The grass rustled in the wind as a black limousine roared past, kicking up clouds of dust. The collection of dust and grass seeds gave the surrounding area an earthy scent that penetrated the vehicle itself.

"Seems we're here," said a brown-haired girl as she looked out the window. Beyond the sea of wildflowers and wheat, a couple of two-story gray buildings that appeared to be apartments came to view. They were the first ones after hours of nothing but countryside. "Let me off here. I'll walk the rest of the way."

"But Lady Rosa--" said the handsome indigo-haired young man seated next to her. He furrowed his brow at her. "You--"

The teenager sighed and stared right into his cyan-eyes. "No buts! I have made my decision. For once, I wish to go someplace without being stared at thanks to being surrounded by guards."

The guy scoffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "What makes you think that we are the reason they stare?"

Rosa narrowed her eyes. "Because they automatically assume I'm wealthy or important."

"Is that why you're dressed like that?" asked the young blond lady helming the vehicle as she pressed the brakes.

Rosa glanced down at the white dress she was wearing and smiled. "Yeah. It is the latest spring fashion among the lower classes. Now, if you will excuse me..."

"Please be careful!" the indigo-haired guy yelled. "I know full well that someone of your status should be on guard. While you might think that you will blend in, your upbringing can give you away at any time. Plus, I doubt your disguise will easily fool most people."

The brunette girl sighed once more as she reached for the silver door handle and exited the vehicle. She came to a halt and glanced back as the blue-haired gentleman stepped out of the car, despite her pleas not to do so.

"Zafir, you worry too much. Plus, you should be taking care of more important things." Her amber eyes glanced at the blue yonder above. It was a clear late-spring day, her favorite. "We must do what we can to keep our respective nations and the rest of Zionia safe. Your role, for now, is different than mine. We shall meet again soon, shall the divine couple will it."

The gentleman bowed his head slightly. "I understand, my apologies."

Rosa snickered. "Now, I shall be off. I'll give you two a holler when I accomplish my task."

"My Lady," Zafir and the chauffeur said, shaking their heads at her.

She put her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes at them. "Oh pish posh, I can speak however I desire. I am not at the palace, you know? Plus, you are not my real servants, so please do not act like such."

"Every day, you're starting to sound more like your sister," the chauffeur said, giggling.

Rosa chuckled. "I take being compared to Setsuko as a compliment." She turned away from the two and headed toward the center of town. "See ya!"

Rosa sprinted on ahead, leaving Zafir and the blond woman behind, only for her straw hat to be uplifted by a small but stiff breeze as the limo drove off. She came to a screeching halt and leaped into the air, catching it as if it were a frisbee.

"Got it! Phew, that was close." Pressing the hat against her chest, she sighed.

Too bad there wasn't a handsome fellow around to catch it for me like in one of those dramas. Wait, what am I saying? Most of the guys in this town are older. I doubt any would place their eyes on me. The majority of college guys nowadays are said to be into older women.