Episode 15: Heart-Broken

Zafir opened his eyes, a smile on his face. Light poured in from outside as snowbirds chirped from the window-sill. It was as if the blizzard both outside and that within his heart were gone. However, it didn't last long as he saw there was no one next to him.

He sat up. "Akari?" He called out, glancing around the spacious room. He stood up and walked into the bathroom, but all he saw as an empty, unused bathtub and the other usual stuff. "Where did she go?"

He lowered his eyes toward the white carpeted floor of the main room. "Maybe she went to talk to Lady Rosa. After all, we are to depart to assist Sir Eiji in his quest to find a suitable wielder for Donato."

He quickly put on his lower garments and then picked up his shirt from the floor. However, just before he could put back on his shirt, he noticed a letter on the black marble nightstand by the messy bed. Without hesitation, he picked it up and skimmed through it.

"'I'm returning to the capital. Please tell Lady Rosa that I apologize.' Returning to the capital? Why?" He turned the letter upside down, but there was nothing else. He stuffed the letter into his pants pocket and returned to buttoning his white shirt.

It isn't like Akari to leave without warning. Something must be worrying her for her to go in such a hurry, but what?

"Zafir," Rosalba said, knocking on the door of the Mizu no Kin prince. "You alright? I'm sorry that I suggested that the other day."

"What?" Zafir said, opening the door. "Why are you sorry for?"

Rosalba stared at him in confusion.

"You mean Akari didn't tell you?" a voice called out. Rosalba jumped back and turned to see Lady Miyuki standing beside her. The Grand Duchess snickered. "Sorry, did I scared you?"

Rosa's face reddened. "Uh, no. Well, maybe."

"I'm aware that she left, she left me this note, but she doesn't state as to why," Zafir said, staring down at his bare feet.

Rosalba lowered her head. "Zafir... about that."

Zafir's expression grew stoic. He turned around and picked up his socks and black boots. "I'm going to go on and see if something happened to her," he said once he finished putting them on. Once he was done, he made his way toward Rosa. "I will try not to take too long."

Rosalba grimaced, keeping her head low. "It's all my fault. I should never have butted into your relationship." She spun around and rushed down the long hall. Zafir was already long gone.

"Hey, princess," Roa said as he made his own way to the stairs with Etsuo by his side.

"Sorry, can't talk now," Rosalba said, turning to the right.

Roa leaped over the rail and landed on the first floor unharmed. "Did something happen. That prince of Mizu no Kin ran off as if there were a fire."

"It's Zafir, he's heading to the capital. I need to let him know why Akari left and apologize. I know it might not help him recuperate Akari, but it's the least I can do."

"Zafir? That guy at the ball?" Etsuo asked as he descended the stairs. "The guy seemed so happy yesterday."

"Yeah, he and that blond girl were making out," Roa said. "Bet it went farther than kisses too."

"Roa!" Etsuo yelled. "What did you say to Rosalba about butting into other people's business?"

"Hey, you did it first by healing Hyo." Roa sighed. "Plus, it is our business. That guy entrusted us to watch over her." He pointed at the princess. "Honestly, that guy is so undependable, leaving a couple of strangers to care for the princess while he goes after his girlfriend."