Episode 33: Unforgettable

After Anis had thrown him out of the house, Kuroshi headed to the tiny stable on the southern-eastern edge of the farmland, which was rather large despite the economic condition of its owners. Inside the stable was a family made up of a male unicorn, a female pegasus, and their two hybrid children. The couple enjoyed their own box stall separate from their kids.

He stared at the majestic black unicorn. At one point, the unicorn had belonged to him before leaving it with Anis to keep it safe. It had been a gift from his pa for his seventh birthday.

He wasn't sure how his pa had obtained it considering their economic situation, but he hadn't cared to ask. He was just happy to finally have a unicorn of his own.

"Hey there, Unico," Kuroshi said as he removed his right black glove.

He reached his hand out to pet it, but the majestic being backed away and lowered its head, pointing its one-foot-long horn at his hand.

Kuroshi gasped and stepped back as his face contorted. I should've figured. It's not like all these years have washed away my sins, no, instead it's the opposite...

The unicorn raised its head and let out what to Kuroshi was a sad neigh.

Kuroshi stared at the deep gashes across its body, the product of war. The same war produced the eastern rebels and had left scars, both physical and emotional, on all involved. Unico had never been the same since then. However, to see that he managed to sire children made him smile.

The pegasus walked over to Unico and rubbed her head against his neck, causing him to let out a happier neigh.

Kuroshi smiled widely. "Seems Anis' Primera has treated you well. Now, if only her owner would be so kind and loving," he said, hugging himself.

Unico neighed as if laughing at his actions.

Kuroshi snickered. "Yeah, she sure can be difficult."

He walked over to the corner of the stable and sat down on a bundle of hay. He closed his eyes as the rain began to pound on the stable. The roof whimpered under the weight of the water, causing him to open his eyes. He clapped his hands together. The sound of the rain was muted, and the roof stopped shaking. "There, that should keep us safe. Just hope that things are better downhill..."

He rose from his bed of hay and peeked out of the door. While walls of fortified concrete kept the horse stable as secure as a bunker, water rushed down like a wall of its own.

"Anis, the kids!" Kuroshi said, putting back on his mask. "It was nice talking to you, Unico, but I gotta go and check up on... " He stopped in his tracks. Something or someone was heading his way. He couldn't make it out due to the water, but it had a light source.

"Kuroshi!" a muffled voice echoed. "Where are you?" It was Anis. She had actually come to look for him!

"I'm over here with Unico and family!" Kuroshi yelled, swinging his hand over the wall of earth. The wall split into two and strangely remained intact despite the continuous rain. He saw a drenched Anis with her purple wings gliding over a lake of water. The hill the stable was built on had become an island.

"Thank the Earth Mother, you're safe," Anis said, flying over to the hilltop.

Kuroshi chuckled as he welcomed her inside. "Of course, I am. You don't honestly think that a little water would get me, do you?"

"Little?" she snapped as she retracted her wings. "This is a flash flood!"

He crossed his arms as he closed the earth door he had made behind her. "Do you really think a flash flood would be enough to take me down?"