Episode 53: Talent and Doubts

The dark blue armored knight glanced out of the window of the airplane to take a look at the clouds below. In his hands was a gray cylinder with the creature's crystal inside.

He touched his back with his left hand and winced. "Wonder if I should ask Teresa for another message. Though, doing so might be bad manners, considering how upset she looked last time I saw her..." the soldier said. He took a deep breath.

What do I do about my feelings for Akari? Perhaps I should try to move on?

"Roa, Etsuo," the crystal called out in a tired voice as if it were dreaming.

"Roa? Etsuo?" the young man asked, turning to look at the crystal. Those are the names of Rosalba's new guards... How does she know them? I need to contact Osamu right away. They might all be in danger.

***

['Present'- Imperial Palace's Lobby]

"So Zafir was sent to the north," Teresa said, rubbing her chin. "Hopefully, he makes it back safe and sound."

"I'm still surprised that you know him," Tetsuya said, rubbing his neck.

His sister put her hand on her hip and narrowed her eyes at him. "And I was surprised to learn that ya knew Princess Rosalba and that Serrano was engaged to her older sister."

"Touche," Tetsuya said, chuckling.

"So you are awake already. Are we going to get to see you fight the princess today?" someone asked. Tetsuya, Teresa, and Nico looked up. It was Roa. He descended the stairs with Etsuo.

Tetsuya tilted his head at him. "I've been awake for a while, was in the dome most of this time. Came downstairs to eat. Say, are ya feeling alright? Ya're usually the first one who eats."

Roa smiled slightly and rubbed his neck like Tetsuya. "Yeah, I was a tad tired. Kinda slept in."

"Really, it doesn't look like ya slept well," Teresa said, a hand still on her hips.

"I've had those days," Nico said, laughing. "One sleeps for hours but wakes up feeling and looking as tired as if one had only slept for five, or less."

"Yeah, it has to be something like that," Roa said, laughing. "Hopefully, a nice meal will get me pumped up."

"So you are already awake, good," a voice boomed overhead. The five of them glanced up the stairs again.

Setsuko, Hyosetsu, and Eiichi each lead their groups down while King Osamu lead Miyuki, Eiko, and Eiji. Every single one of them was wearing armor, and most had their angel tools in weapon form.

"What's going on?" Etsuo asked in a nervous voice. "I thought the plan to go north was canceled. Did the expedition fail?"

"On the contrary. Zafir captured the creature terrorizing those lands. It was an abyssmal as predicted," King Osamu. "Strangely, he reports that the creature has been mumbling your name and that of your companion." He narrowed his eyes at them. "Tell me what connection do you have with it."

"We haven't even met this creature you speak of," Etsuo said, wrinkling his brow.

"It seems he's telling the truth," Kohri said as he made his way toward them with Rosalba. "It could be that they have met this creature before and don't know it's the one terrorizing the north. Or somehow the creature learned of their names." He lowered his eyes to the black floor. "Though come to think about it, the attacks began on the day we met."

"You mean, your brother's birthday? Maybe something about him turning twenty-two triggered it to attack," Roa said, snickering.

"You're deflecting now," Kohri said, staring at him in the eyes.