Episode 39: Reunion

[Infirmary]

Teresa stared at her unconscious younger brother. It had already been hours since he fought Eiichi, and he still hadn't woken up. He and Hideo were the only knights in the infirmary. Hyosetsu and Eiichi himself had both left to train with Setsuko in the angelic dome simulator.

"That guy is gonna pay if Tetsuya doesn't wake up!" Teresa said, clenching her flower-shaped necklace.

Rosa put a hand on her shoulder and gave her a warm smile. "How about you go and take a break? I'll watch over him," the second princess said.

Teresa shook her head. "He's my little brother and thus my responsibility." Suddenly her stomach grumbled. Her face turned bright red. "Uh..."

Rosalba chuckled. "Now, this brings back memories. You should go and eat. It will not benefit your brother's health if you fall ill. In fact, it will most likely cause him to worry, just like how his comatose state is causing you concern."

The older girl sighed. "I guess ya're right. I should get some rest." Suddenly her lips crested into a smile as she recalled Serrano's words on their way to town. She leaned in a bit. "So, what is your relationship with my little brother?"

The princess covered her face with both her hands. "W-what do you mean? W-we are only fellow knights. N-nothing more."

Teresa narrowed her eyes. "Don't lie. I can tell ya have the hots for him. Not that I can blame ya, my little bro can be annoying from time to time, but he does have his good points. Surely even a princess such as yaself would be drawn to them."

Rosalba averted her eyes as she slowly lowered her hands. "Why does everyone think I like him?"

"Maybe because ya do?" Teresa said, nudging the princess on the side. "If ya want, I can help ya out. Ya do seem like a girl he would be attracted to."

The princess lowered her hands all the way, revealing a crimson face. "R-really?"

"Ha, got ya! Ya totally have a thing for him!"

"Y-you lied to me?" Rosa asked, grimacing.

Teresa waved a hand dismissively. "Course not. Meant what I said," Tetsu's older sister said, grinning. "Anyway, I am off to eat! Once done, I'll go look for Taku. He still hasn't come back yet from his sightseeing."

"Alright," Rosalba said, waving shyly.

Teresa giggled as she made her way out of the room. The infirmary was located in the right-wing of the palace on the first floor. To her right was a long corridor that led to an elevator and an inaccessible staircase blocked by a metal barrier. Most likely, it led to the rooms of the royal family. She bet that the doctors and nurses used it more often than the royals themselves. At least Teresa didn't see them coming downstairs to be attended when they could call the physicians to their rooms.

She turned left, retracing in her mind the path Rosalba had taken. The hallway they were in was actually but one of many containing hospital beds. The sheer magnitude made her wonder why the royal family would have a hospital so large within the palace.

Then it hit her, the palace was built during King Orlin's rule. When they were at war with Kasai no Ki, the same war her papa had participated in. She heard tales of how many on both sides perished. Kuroriku had gained new lands in the south. Fertile lands at that which were a boon for the growing nation.

The war in the eastern front, however, was a failure. In the end, Kuroriku had little to show for all the blood and treasure wasted there. As such, it didn't surprise her to hear that there were rebels in the east, where the majority of the war had occurred. After all, the war had hurt them the most. The grand duchy that once existed there had ceased to be. Though that was because its Grand Duchess was a turn-coat.