Episode 31: Home

"Takuya!" Teresa yelled as the three made their way to the small black house built on a tiny hilltop in the middle of a sleepy flower-filled valley.

A tall, black-haired young man's green eyes widened as soon as he saw them. He dropped his ax, leaving it next to the large pile of firewood.

"Tetsu, Serra! You're back earlier than expected!" he called out, waving at them.

"Yeah. There wasn't much traffic," Serrano said, grinning as he put his hands behind his head. "How have you been, Taku?"

"I've been doin' well, by the grace of the Sky Father." He frowned. "Wished we could've gone to ya graduation." His green eyes darted toward his bare feet. "I tried to earn us enough money for the trip, but it didn't prove enough to buy some nice clothes for the event."

"Taku," Tetsuya said, staring at his brother's dirty feet. Taku's clothes were old and barely kept alive with their sister's knitting. Most of the money that his siblings and Mom made went into furthering his studies.

Tetsuya once asked his brother why he didn't use it to buy himself shoes. He only responded by telling him how he enjoyed being barefoot and how his little brother deserved them more.

"You shouldn't feel sorry," Teresa said, patting her younger brother's shoulder.

"I know," Tetsuya said. He looked up and flashed his brother a bright grin. "I'll get us out of poverty one day, Taku. You'll see."

"I'll help as much as I can, too," Serrano added as he lowered his arms and crossed them together over his chest.

Takuya grinned. "Ya two are the hope of this family. No matter what happens, don't ever give up. Got it?"

Tetsuya nodded. He wouldn't give up without a fight, regardless of the pressure. Such hopes were what drove him this far. Surely they would take him higher. 

"Are you going to be leaving soon?" Tetsuya asked.

Taku nodded. "Yeah, found a job posted outside the tavern. The sum is pretty decent for the demon's rank."

Demon hunters didn't earn much, but it was enough to put food on the table. Unlike Serrano and him, Tetsuya's siblings never went beyond middle school. Though, Takuya never seemed to mind, saying that he was better at using his hands than studying. But the guy did enjoy reading in his spare time. When he wasn't busy, one could find him in their late father's library, despite having already read most of the books there.

Tetsuya hoped to write plenty of books for his big brother and others to read. Teaching was only meant as his day job. If he ever made it big, he would've liked to open up libraries across the rural areas and slums of the Kuroriku so kids could have something to read regardless of income.

"Where are you going this time?" Serrano asked, curiosity glimmering in his eyes. For some reason, Tetsuya's cousin loved hearing about Taku's exploits. Not that Tetsuya didn't, but his cousin was a knight. He had to have had cool stories, too, right?

"To the north. There's somethin' odd goin' on there. It seems to be attractin' several other hunters too. Seems the current prize is higher than what I found in the tavern," Takuya answered.

That was troubling. Why was the bounty going up? The demon must've been more powerful or tricky than whoever put out the original bounty had anticipated.

Serrano closed his eyes as if contemplating something. "So, you're heading to Kuroyuki no San?" Did he know something about it?

"Yeah."

Tetsuya whistled. He wished he could've gone there. The Kuroyuki were known for being self-reliant. Out of the six branches making up the Kuroriku, they were the most powerful, second only to the first branch, which bore the name 'Kuroriku'. Tetsuya's family held the surname too, but they weren't all that well regarded, despite being the most numerous. If the Kuroyuki no San needed to call upon demon hunters for help, then whatever was there had to be dangerous. More so if the bounty kept going up.