Episode 52: Festival

"Not hungry?" Roa asked. He and Etsuo were staring at the dark sea from on top of a strangely curved tree with purple leaves.

Etsuo glanced down at his barely nibbled banana. "I can't stop thinking about Dine. Think it'll be fine?"

"Your mom said it'll be," Roa said as he looked down at the half-eaten carrot in his hands. He tossed the rest of the carrot into his mouth and jumped off of the tree. "Well, I better get going. I need to change clothes and prepare for the festival. Want me to take you home?"

"Think I'll be fine on my own. I see no sight of Satoru," Etsuo said, waving goodbye.

Roa ran across the black sandy beach but came to a stop as a gray-haired young man with fox-like eyes made his way toward him. The young man wore a crimson kimono with golden flame embroidery. The collar of the kimono meanwhile had light brown fur.

"Roa! I see you're alone. Did you finally decide to drop those losers?" he asked, smiling impishly. He held out a hand toward him. "I know you betrayed us, but I'll accept your return to our fold."

"Who are you calling losers?" Etsuo yelled as came running over. He was devouring his banana.

The gray-haired fox boy shook his head. "Seems I spoke too soon."

"Right back at you! Here, catch!" the monkey boy yelled as he flicked something into the air.

"What?" Satoru asked as his eyes widened. The boy stepped back as he saw a banana peel fly through the air. He reached his right hand out and caught the thing in his hands and crushed it. He closed his eyes and chuckled. "Trying to get a hit on me with this? Pathetic. I won't be humiliated by the likes of you."

"Bye, loner!" Roa yelled, waving at him.

Satoru opened his eyes and saw that they were already several feet away. "Hey, when did you get there? Come back here! I wasn't done talking to you!" the boy yelled.

Etsuo and Roa snickered as they raced past some stands selling rock candy. "Seems you've made him mad," Etsuo said, giggling. "Honestly, if he wants to be your friend, he should ask."

Roa slowed down and put his hands behind his head. "Ha! Like I'll ever be friends with a guy like that. He's hurt you and Dine too much for me to do that."

Etsuo looked down and smiled, a luminescent blush on his face. "Thanks for being my friend."

The black-haired boy grinned as he looked back at the dark shore. "I should be the one to thank you. You and Dine were my first true friends." He gazed up at the black yonder. "Before you two came along, I was his friend."

"Oh right, I remember," Etsuo said as he took out another banana from his backpack using his monkey tail. He happily peeled the thing. "You used to be a bully too. You actually gave me a bloody lip. My mommy told me to punch you the next time, who cares what uncle can think. If he tried to retaliate, she'd beat him up with ease. Not that she expected him to." He laughed while Roa gave him a stoic look.

"And so you did. I was so surprised by that punch," Roa said, rubbing his right cheek. "Didn't think such a girly boy like you could hit so hard."

Etsuo pouted and punched him in the shoulder.

"Hey, what was with that?"

"You actually thought I was a girl back then."

Roa snickered. "Well, yeah. You're that pretty. Actually, you're prettier than daddy."

Etsuo nearly choked on his banana. "I-I don't want to be pretty!"

"Then get buff," Roa said, flexing his arms.