Episode 37: Shield and Spear

Hideo and Reno were about to clash, when suddenly, a figure leaped in between them.

"Stop right there!" Kuroshi yelled. He appeared along with the king, Anis, and the other six Seven Hills.

Tetsuya noticed that Serrano, Rosa, and Kohri seemed out of it as if something were bothering them. Just what had happened during the meeting?

"Tsk," Reno said, glaring at the masked man and the knights. The flames in his hands died down. "You got lucky this time, cousin."

Hideo scoffed as his smug smile returned. "Excuse me? You are the one who is lucky that we got interrupted. Else, right now, you might be lying on the ground, crying for your mommy."

Reno stepped closer. "That would be you!"

Hideo chuckled as he turned his back to him. "Such a weak comeback."

Eiji took a deep breath. "I knew that Eiko picking Eiichi would be troublesome, but it appears my choice was no better," the raven-haired Seven-Hill knight said, shaking his head.

"Don't compare me to that half-pint!" Eiichi said, pouting.

The man sighed once more. "You're a grown man, Eiichi. You have to start acting like one."

The blond young man's face became stoic as he turned his back to his father. "Whatever, let's begin this so-called 'tournament'."

Osamu glanced at each one of the five. "We will be doing this similar to a gauntlet run. Whoever wins here will face another one of the knights and so on until there's only one left. That knight will be the leader of the group."

Eiichi smirked. "Sounds good. I'll go first!"

"Quite bold of you, son," a blond woman in silver armor said as she took a seat in the front row. "Though doing so diminishes your chances of being the last one standing."

Carlos' knight scoffed. "Please, I am not afraid of these four." His red eyes shifted toward the four and then over to the soldiers seated in the front rows. "Plus, should I defeat all four, I will unquestionably be the strongest among us five."

The King smiled. "Spoken like a true warrior." The monarch turned toward his daughter and the other knights. "Now, who will be challenging him?"

All four rose their hands at once. "Ha, so eager. Good. You all should crave to show your power. However, one of you must be chosen."

"Allow me to pick," Kuroshi said, tapping the king's shoulder. "It'll make things easier. Alright, first up will be Tetsuya, followed by Hideo, Hyosetsu, and Setsuko."

"Wait, why should I go last?" the princess asked, shaking her head at such a suggestion. "I can take all four of them!"

"I am basing this on how much respect your positions give you. As a princess, your title will make you the most attractive. While Tetsuya's only title is that of a knight. To be honest, the first match would ideally be Tetsuya versus Hideo, seeing how Hideo's father is but a minor duke. The winner of that match would then face off against Hyosetsu, and then the winner of that one going up against Eiichi, with you as the pinnacle. Though we will start off with our volunteer against Tetsuya."

"I guess that makes sense," Setsuko said, taking a deep breath.

Hyosetsu lowered his head. "Why is Eiichi higher than me under such a system? We are both the sons of Grand Duchesses."

Kuroshi leaned against the concrete wall and closed his eyes. "You truly wish for me to tell you such an obvious answer?"

The swordsman grimaced as he averted his gaze. "No, you do not. I understand."