Episode 6: He Whose Name is like an Angel of Death

The cloaked man turned around, allowing Rosa and Serrano to see the man's red and black mask.

"Hey, answer me! Who are you? How long have you been watching us?" Serrano asked, raising his arms in a boxing stance.

The man raised both black-gloved hands into the air and laughed. "Woah, easy there, buddy! I am not an enemy!"

"He's right," Rosa said as she wrapped Tetsuya's right arm around her shoulders to make it easier to carry him. "This man right here is the creator of Agnes. He goes by the name of 'Kuroshi'."

"Kuroshi?" Tetsuya asked, opening one eye. His golden eye glanced at the man's black dress. "How ominous..."

"Hmm? Ominous?" Rosa asked, eyes wide.

Serrano nodded. "Yeah, his name is like that of a reaper." He glanced at Tetsu and grimaced. "I didn't think that I hurt you that much to push you toward death's door."

Kuroshi chuckled. "Aye, I guess it is rather ominous. This name of mine tends to strike fear to all those who see me. Especially to those who are injured, but rest assured young man, I am not some psychopomp who has come here to deliver you to the realm of death. I was merely curious as to who the wielder of Aventine will choose. To think that it'd be someone like you."

Tetsu's gaze moved toward the cracked tiles underfoot. "I am also surprised. It was so sudden..."

The man snickered. "Well, it seems like he made a good choice. Then again, it is too early to say that with absolute certainty. Still, you possess great power."

Tetsuya gave him a tired smile. "Thanks..."

The man crossed his arms and tilted his head at him. "However, you are missing something."

Tetsu closed his open eye. "I... I know, but I can't say what it is..."

"Hmm? Wish for me to tell you?"

Tetsuya opened both his eyes this time and stepped away from Rosa, suddenly feeling energized. "Yes! Uh, please, sir! Please tell me!"

The man raised his right hand and pointed his index finger upward. He chuckled and waved his hand. "No, I better not. That would be too easy. It's best if you figure it out on your own."

"Come-" Tetsu lowered his head. "I... I see."

The man let out a joyful laugh. "Come on, have more spirit boy! Don't give up so easily!"

Tetsuya slapped himself with both his hands. "Right! I just need to give it my all like always! This is like figuring out a video game of a genre one has never played before. I may be a struggling noob now, but the more I explore and play, the more I'll understand."

"What? Seriously?" the man said as he lowered his arms.

Serrano chuckled nervously. "My cousin is kind of a geek."

Kuroshi tilted his head at the young knights. "How does a college kid these days even find time to play video games? Anyway, that doesn't matter. I find that analogy to be worth considering. Now, Mr. Noob, you need to master at least the first stage of this 'game' by the next full moon."

"That's twenty-eight days from now," Serrano said, gazing back at his cousin. "That's two days after the finals."

"Right! Just use that day in between to refresh yourselves."

"Twenty-eight days from now... Going to need to use all my free time to practice," Tetsuya said, rubbing his chin as his golden eyes wandered across the empty arena. "Guess I won't be dropping by the gamers club anytime soon... but I'm the president... so..."