Episode 36: Shaky Ground

Setsuko escorted her fellow knights, the one-hundred soldiers, and Teresa upstairs and then turned right to another flight of stairs, which ascended toward the third floor.

"So, as I was saying back in the king's chamber," Setsuko said. "These five weapons were crafted from scarce materials. Though not all of the ingredients are from this world. In fact, not even all are from this realm. For example, the green emerald at the center of Agnes is a dragon sphere. This type of container is used in Wynaga to contain dragons and harness their incredible powers.

"Other than the sphere, I don't know what else it can do other than what a plain shield does. I'm not even sure if the sphere can be used like it was originally intended to be."

Tetsuya stared at his Agnes. Could the tiny sphere really contain dragons? He couldn't even see what the need for something that could hold dragons was, considering there were none in their realm.

"The markings on Baldo are the incantation of a powerful ice spell from the southernmost regions of the world of Xeleria in the magic realm," Setsuko continued. "The blade itself is crafted out of an ancient ice dragon's fang found in the Ryussia region of Wynaga in the dragon realm. Together the two allow you to use powerful ice attacks. The golden hilt it has is formed from a substance that is hard to come by even in Kuroyuki's lands."

Hyosetsu turned Baldo upside down and stared at the lustrous hilt. The raven-haired, icy-blue-eyed youth had seen something akin to the material when he was a kid. He had walked in on his father working on a weapon. He let out a slight gasp as he glanced up at the princess.

"This hilt is made out of seraphium. Where did you find it?" the duke of Kuroyuki no San asked.

Tetsuya tilted his head. Seraphium... that stuff, even he had heard of it.

Father once found a small pebble of it on our farm. He said that the material can increase the durability, power, and speed of an object and the person holding it.

Tetsuya still had the small pebble and kept it as part of a rock collection he made as a kid. He grimaced as he thought about it. It was one of the few memories he had of his father before he passed away.

Setsuko chuckled. "That's something that even I don't know. Even if I could tell you, the king said they didn't find much more than what it took to make Carlos and your Baldo's hilt."

Eiichi smiled as he stared at the tip of his spear. "Wow, so this thing must be worth a fortune!"

"It is, but you must not sell it, even after this ordeal is done. These five weapons will kill their owners if abandoned," Setsuko said. A smile spread across her face. "Wait, on second thought, sell it!"

Eiichi's smile faded. "You really hate me that much, huh?"

Setsuko nodded as she continued to grin. "Pretty much!"

The blond knight sighed. "Well, it is quite powerful, so it's not like I'll trade it for something else. So is this thing pure seraphium?"

"No, it's not," the first princess said. "A pure seraphium weapon wouldn't work. Seraphium is like gold. It's too soft to mold an entire thing out of. Unlike gold, it doesn't wear off over time. Mokin, a tree that grows in the dense forests of Xian in Xeleria, makes up the interior of Carlos's shaft. The wood is as tough as diamond. The Agnes is also made out of Mokin if I remember correctly."

Hearing that excited Tetsuya. Only later, did he learn that its hardness wouldn't help all the time.

"What about the spearhead?" Eiichi queried.

"It's made of dragon tooth as well. I can't recall which kind."

"Now mine!" Hideo said, raising Donato. "So, is this entire gun dragon skin or something?"