Episode 72: Toying with the Heart

Teresa rubbed her forehead as soon as the room had stopped moving. She wondered what happened. Suddenly, the image of her younger brother being swallowed into the second-highest portal up popped into her head.

She stood up and looked around. They were in what looked like a colosseum, except there was a roof. Nico, Zafir, Akari, and Takuya were the only ones around her. There was no sight of Team Hideo nor of Koukyuu.

She walked over to her older brother and held her hand out. "Taku, we need to hurry and save Tetsu and the others. They could be in trouble!"

Takuya stared at his sister as she let go of his hand once he was up.

"Calm down," he said, putting his hands on her shoulders. "It'll be alright, we'll find Tetsu."

Teresa realized she had been breathing heavily. It had been years since she had last felt despair like this. Back then, Tetsu had gone missing after he got in a fight with a couple of kids who mocked him for not being able to use an angel tool. Then there was that one time when Tetsu had gotten separated from them in the capital of the southern province.

Takuya looked down. "It's all my fault for getting distracted. I could've saved them," he said.

"Before that, we first have to deal with the company we got," Akari said. The two siblings turned to see a black-haired teen standing at the edge of the rails. He wore long-sleeved yellow robes and had a necklace made up of large crimson beads around his neck.

"Welcome," the boy said with a wide smile. "I am Man-kin Sun Wukong! I will be one of your opponents today." He snickered. "But first, a friend of mine wants payback for what you did to him back in the lobby."

Man-kin snapped his fingers, causing a portal to open up. Emerging from the portal was the giant gorilla from before.

The creature banged its thick arms against the floor, but this time Takuya was ready for it. He slammed his own fists against the floor, countering the shockwaves. The creature wobbled around, disoriented by Takuya's attack. Zafir took the opening to send a chain into its chest, shattering its core. Though an explosion of dust rocked the room as a result.

"Wow, that was impressive, shoe-less one. Cuz and Satoru didn't have any data on you, so I figured you weren't much of a fighter," Man-kin said as he put his hands behind his head.

Takuya glared at him. "Who cares about me. Tell me where Tetsu is!" he yelled as he a pillar of earth jutted from the ground.

Man-kin jumped away, barely avoiding getting hit by the raised earth. "Hey, don't attack if you want answers!"

"Yeah, where's my little brother!" Teresa yelled.

The young man rubbed his chin and tilted his head as he jumped away. "Tetsu? You mean the guy Satoru pulled into his portal? Well, he's likely dead by now."

Takuya clenched his fists together. "No way that he would die so fast! My brother isn't as weak as you think."

Teresa gulped as she recalled the encounter back at the palace. If not for Yuko, Satoru likely would've killed them right away. Now, without her, who knew if he and the others were fine.

Man-kin grinned at Takuya as he came to a halt. "I sense anger from you. You best ca-" He jumped back as a silver chain came at him. "Tsk. I forgot about the prince." He swatted the chain with his left hand, sending it crashing downstairs to where they were.

"We need to find an exit," Takuya said, looking around.

Zafir nodded. "Yeah. That guy the princess and your brother are stuck with is strong. Even if they aren't dead now, they might soon be."