Episode 17: Meaning of a Knight

Rosalba smiled as she opened her eyes. She just had the loveliest dream. The boy who saved her had given her a piggyback ride and ran through the fields. The two laughed and laughed.

She was also greeted by an equally lovely smell, that of cinnamon. She raised her head and found herself in the same small room where she had given Agnes over to Tetsuya upon Serrano's recommendation. She looked down and realized she was holding her bear-dog.

"Bear-woof? What are you doing here?" she asked, lifting it over her head.

"Ahh, you're awake," Tetsuya said, entering the room. His hair was wet, and he had on a different pair of clothes.

Rosa's face reddened. Hope he didn't just hear me talk to Bear-woof. He already thinks I'm weird... The princess stood up from the bed. "What happened?"

Tetsuya sighed. "You used a dangerous technique to save Yuko, didn't you?"

The princess pressed her bear-dog against her chest. "It was all I could think of to save that girl."

"You gave her part of your life, according to Serrano. Why did you go that far for her?"

Rosa narrowed her eyes. "To save her, of course! She might be a stranger, but she's still a living being."

Tetsuya laughed.

"What is so funny about what I said?"

"Nothing. It just makes me happy to hear a knight say that."

Rosa flushed. "A knight? Huh? It is not every day I hear one refer to me as such, despite being one of the Seven. Even Grand duchess Miyuki and Grand Duke Eiji are better known by the Seven-Hill title than I am." She tightened her hold on her plushie. "Then again, unlike those two and even those of my generation, I lack achievements of any kind."

"That's what motivated you to hand over Agnes, wasn't it?" he asked, showing off his bracelet.

She nodded shyly. "Yes, and like I said before, to show my dad that I can do something."

"Well, perhaps it's best that you do lack accomplishments," Tetsuya said, stretching his hands toward the ceiling.

"Huh?"

He lowered his arms. "To be a knight means to take lives. To be honest, while I wished for a sword, I am glad that this weapon can turn into a shield, something that protects rather than takes away life."

Rosa stared at him for a while. "Yeah, it really fits you," she said, blushing.

Tetsuya chuckled. "Though if I must, I am ready to take life to defend life. Growing up on the farm taught me that to live, sacrifices must be made."

The princess stared at her bear-dog's large brown eyes. "I hope we can win this without too much bloodshed. Honestly, the thought of taking another's life frightens me."

"I hope you never have to take a life then," Tetsu said, patting her head. "While you are a princess, you're still a kid."

Rosa pouted. "I'm not a kid!"

Tetsuya stared at the plushie with interest. "Hey, that plush you got there-"

"It's a bear-dog."

He snickered. "I can tell."

She straightened her back. "You can?"

"Yeah! My sister Teresa has one too. Though hers has a purple dress. Why is yours wearing corn husks?"

Rosa smiled at her stuffed animal. "It symbolizes fertility and life. It is said that corn was given to us by our ancestor, Valencia."

"Oh, that old legend," Tetsuya said, scratching his head. "Mama would sometimes recite it to the three of us to get us to bed."