Episode 35: Gathering of the Five Knights

Setsuko led Tetsuya, Serrano and Teresa into a corridor beneath the stairs. It was painted a deep green color with gold trimming along its edges. Gold leaf decorated each corner. Why had King Orlin built it on the first floor and not the second? Tetsuya laughed. He bet that it was to throw his enemies off should they rush into the palace. Only Kuroriku nobles would know its location.

At the end of the hall were several doors. One led outside to the patio overlooking the gardens according to the princess; another went to the king's office. And a set of golden double doors led to the throne room.

Teresa came to a stop in front of large doors.

"I'll wait here," Teresa said, smiling slightly.

"What? Aren't you coming with us?" Tetsuya asked.

"I think that Kuroshi wanted you to join us, hence why he gave you those clothes," Serrano said, glancing at the dress.

The country girl lowered her eyes to the floor. "Yeah, but... it's the king's decision at the end of the day who can attend his court."

The crown princess smiled at her. "Join us. If my father says anything, then I'll just say that I'm the one who let you in."

Teresa smiled and stepped forward. "Okay."

Setsuko chuckled and pushed the doors open. A familiar, calming, yet strong aroma spilled throughout the large lobby. It was the smell of lavender.

"Woah," Teresa said as she peeked over the shoulders of the boys. The chamber itself was fancy, having walls of gold and silver. Holding the vaulted ceiling were rows upon rows of amethyst pillars that rose out from the black sea of marble into the orange heavens above.

Setsuko stepped inside, walking through the long purple rug which cut through the pitch-black floor. The boys and Teresa followed her in and continued all the way to the end of the room. At the end laid an onyx and orange-diamond encrusted platinum throne.

Seated on the throne was a man who bore a resemblance to Setsuko and Rosa. He had long messy dark brown hair and a beard which reminded Tetsuya of a lion's mane. Draping the king's body was a large fur cape of unknown origin big enough to cover most of what he was wearing body. Meanwhile, a black crown with orange diamonds adorned his head.

Around the throne were Hideo, Eiichi, and a black-haired youth with a black sheath attached to his belt. Rosalba also accompanied them.

"Tetsuya! Serra! Sis!" Rosa yelled, waving at them.

Tetsuya smiled and waved back while Teresa and Serrano quickly bowed before the king.

"King Osamu. I have returned with the Agnes Knight as well as the Alma Knight in tow," Serrano said as he nudged his cousin to bow.

Tetsuya did as his cousin wished, but when he looked up, he was met with a cold stare. One worse than what Eiichi and Hideo had given.

Why is he giving me that look? Could it be because of my dad? Rumor has it that he wasn't very fond of him.

"You may rise, children," King Osamu said as he also stood up, snapping Tetsuya out of his thoughts.

"So, he really is one of us?" Eiichi said, tilting his head at the Agnes Knight.

"I'm surprised that you're one too," Tetsuya said, giving him a smug grin. "Who would've thought a pompous guy like you would be chosen as a knight. Not much hero material there if you ask me."

Eiichi stepped toward him, red eyes narrowed. "What was that, you insignificant plebeian?"

Tetsuya chuckled as he rose to his full height, towering a foot over the blond. "You heard me, pompous duke!"