Episode 25: Brother's Keeper

[Inner Central Cavern]

The inner cavern was still intact, but dust as thick as clouds covered the narrow hallway. Kuroshi pushed the male rebel back while Hideo's father kept the tied up Dan safe from the vines as the rebels attempted to take him back.

"You know, if you aren't going to show me anything interesting, move out of the way!" Kuroshi yelled, flicking him with a single finger. The man collided into a rock throne, shattering it into pieces. "Now, that wasn't too bad, was it?"

"Kuroshi, do not drop your guard!" Hideo's father said as he sliced an incoming vine.

"It'll be okay," Kuroshi said, waving his hand dismissively. "I doubt their leader is much stronger."

"Is that so?" a female voice called out, yet there was no one to be seen. "Ayao, kill this prideful man."

Kuroshi stepped back as a serpent sprung out of the vines.

Hideo's father stabbed the vines with his solar staff, but the serpent slithered away and coiled itself around the weapon.

"I have been waiting for you, lord of these lands," the female voice called out. "Now, how about we start discussing the terms for peace? That is, if you wish for your son to be returned to you."

"Get away from it! Don't let it bite you!" Kuroshi yelled as he turned around. He gasped as he felt a knife press against his neck.

"You let your guard down as expected," said the man from before as he pressed the knife in further. "Now, your blood shall feed our revolution, dog of the crown!"

Kuroshi chuckled as darkness sprung out of his neck. He didn't seem to feel any pain at all.

"You shouldn't be too sure. Dark Blood! Cat's Howl!" the cloaked man yelled. Shadows flung out of the cut in his neck and went around the male rebel. The blood had taken on the shape of what looked to be cat fangs.

The rebel quickly backed away and formed two wooden shields around him out of thin air.

"What?" the serpent said, turning its head away from Hideaki. It narrowed its eyes at Kuroshi. "That technique..."

"What's wrong, Ayao?" the woman's voice called out.

"To think there was someone other than that dastard Tekeshi who can use such a technique."

"Dastard?" Kuroshi asked. He crossed his arms and scoffed. "Tekeshi was a good kid."

"Good?" the female's voice cried out. "You call the one who took my father's life good? The one who destroyed my family and dukedom?"

"Your family? Tekeshi didn't destroy anyone's family," Kuroshi said, surprised.

"Of course, he did! He killed my father while your king killed my mother! If Tekeshi wasn't dead, then I would gladly kill him with my own two hands," she said, glancing down at her twitching hands. Vines erupted in all directions.

"Sister! Stop!" the duke yelled as he dropped his staff.

"Huh?" the serpent said, turning its eyes on him anew. It slithered away from the staff in surprise. "Your eyes, they're the same as my previous owner."

"What's your name?" the woman's voice cried out.

"You mean, you don't know?" Hideaki asked.

"Honestly, I only know that you are of the same house as me. You're seen as a traitor to the Makkuroyama, a man undeserving of the name. But apart from that, we knew nothing else. The people would only refer to you as 'Sir' or 'Lord' Makkuroyama.