Epilogue: How does it end?

-He who wishes to know the true story-

[Present- Southern Province, Kuroriku]

"What's next?" I ask, jumping up and down. True, some parts of the story were dark, but I still want to know what came next for our hero. "What did the Knight of the Shield discover?"

Mother pats my head and points toward the window. Night had arrived without me noticing. "Mother will tell you the rest of the story tomorrow or some other day. For now go to sleep. You got school tomorrow."

"Ahh," I grumble as I put my face against the table.

My sister Erika and other siblings yawn. 

"Let's go big brother,"  Erika says, rubbing her eyes with her tiny hands.

"Yeah," one of my brothers says.

I grab my Mama's hand and smile. 

"Alright. Night mom!" I say as soon as I'm standing. I run for the stairs but stop upon seeing Papa toss and turn as if suffering his own nightmare. If anyone knew how Serrano felt, it was him.

Serrano... Hanketsu. Why do those names make my heart ache? Just what was it that he lost?

The sound of rustling snaps me out of my thoughts.

"What's up kiddos?" Papa asks, rubbing his eyes. "Your mother finished the story already?"

I pout. "Nope. It's night already. We're off to bed now. You should too." Both Erika and I chuckle. "Though you probably don't need to. You've slept most of the day!"

"Pa is like Tetsuya!" Erika yells.

He tilts his head and grins. "Oh? How so?"

Sister puts a finger on her lips and tilts her own head. "Papa is tall, handsome, and strong!"

Father snickers as he sits up straight. "That's sweet of you to say. You really think that Tetsuya was strong?"

She nods. 

He crosses his arms and stares at her skeptically. "Really? The guy kept getting knocked out, and nearly died several times. He's a rather sorry excuse for a 'Shield Knight' if you ask me."

My hands curl into fists. "Don't call Tetsuya weak! Sure he might not be the strongest hero. But you don't know what he went through! All the pain that he endured!"

Father's eyes grows cold. "Oh I know. I know all too well what the failed Shield Knight went through. Once you know the rest of the story, you'll understand."

Rage bubbles within me. "Sure he might be rather cynical at times, but the guy also did a lot of good too. He even felt sympathy for Hideo even though he was a jerk to him—"

He snickers with even more cynicism than Tetsuya. "The others too. They aren't heroes. But if anti-heroes are your thing then go ahead, admire them." He walks past me and heads upstairs. "You're young. But one day you'll learn that stories about heroes don't all end happily."

Tetsuya's story... doesn't end happily? But... then how does it end? What's the true ending? What happens to my hero? Wait, don't tell me that... did Tetsu die like that? Noooo! That can't be!

Papa glances back, regret in his golden eyes as he watches me ponder with curiosity as to how the story ended. "I'm sorry, kiddo. Perhaps I was too harsh."

I blink back tears. "I... want to know the end. I want to know if Tetsu and Rosa live!"

He sighs and rubs his long brown hair. "You will. One day."

I stomp on the stairs. "I want to know now!"

A long arm grabs me. "Heavens. Who knew that you would grow up to be such a spoiled kid?"

Mama snickers. "He's kinda like you."

Papa's face reddens. "I wasn't this bad a kid... was I?"

"Let go of me! I want to know the end!" I cry as I thrash around. "Why are you so mean, Papa?!"

**Solar Note**

And that's it for this first book! I hope that you enjoyed it. I will be revising things that I felt I could've improved. Please leave me some feedback on what you think I could've done better, and even what you enjoyed. Especially surrounding the characters. The feedback will go toward making the final draft :). Oh yeah, the next book will be out before long ^_^