Episode 59: Salvation

Takuya winced as he desperately tried to heal Kiara's infection. However, it was expanding faster than he could purify it.

"It isn't working," Rosalba said, biting her lip. She glanced down at her angel tool. "Would this work against demonic infections?"

Hideo stopped shooting aimlessly and turned toward the two of them. "Please save her, no matter what," the gun knight pleaded.

Takuya stared at his katana. "At this rate, the only way to save her would be to cut off her arm."

The boy's emerald eyes widened. He lowered his head. "If...if that's what must be done to save her then..."

Takuya nodded his head and pulled out his katana from his sash. He focused on Kiara's infected arm.

"Wait! What are you doing?" Etsuo shouted as he and Roa came running over.

"Etsuo!" Rosa said, running over to him. "Can you heal Kiara?"

Etsuo glanced over at the unconscious girl. He gasped as he saw the wound. He smiled slightly and nodded.

"I'll give it a try but no promises."

He jumped over to Kiara and placed his hands several inches away from the wound. Red flames emerged from his hands and spread to her entire arm.

Hideo and the others watched in awe as the flames, and the demonic miasma battled each other for dominance. The dark wisps reached out for Etsuo, but his flames would burn away the ends closest to him.

"Hey, be careful," Roa said, taking a step back. "You don't want to get hit by it."

Etsuo kept his focus on the demonic aura, but wisps pushed back against his flames. If its creator hadn't been a fire user, he would've been able to burn the miasma long ago. He grimaced as the miasma started to overwhelm his flames.

Looking down at Kiara, he felt a sense of familiarity. It almost felt as if he were looking at Dine. He shook his head. He had to focus, or else the demonic aura would take him over too.

"Gahhh!" Etsuo screamed, startling the others. "Come on, Kiara! Fight back! I can't do this by myself!"

Kiara moaned as she began to stir once more. The expanding Miasma was consumed by flames. Not only those of Etsuo but those of the one it wished to make its host.

"Etsuo?" Kiara asked, opening her eyes. She let out a soft grumble.

"Kiara!" Hideo said, crawling over to her.

"Hey, don't get too close!" Etsuo yelled.

Hideo stopped.

The white-haired teen intensified the strength of his flames. Kiara groaned as the miasma continued to struggle.

"You're causing her pain!" Hideo yelled.

"It's the miasma's doing, not mine!" Etsuo yelled, glaring at him. "Now, be quiet!"

Roa took a step toward Hideo. "If you like, I can take care of him."

Etsuo sighed. "We're currently in a truce." He looked down at the sweating Kiara. "Continue to fight back, Kiara. Come on, you can do it!"

Kiara nodded weakly as she clenched her fists shut. She wasn't going to allow the miasma to win.

***

[Unknown Location]

Nori panted as he walked deeper into the darkness. Even with a cloak of light, the miasma was still taking its toll on both Eita and him.