Chapter 28: Blunt the knives.

Dwalin notices Kili winking at Taryn and gives him a stern look. But Kili just shrugs it off and begins to talk to Taryn.

"Hello I am Kili," the young brunette dwarf says to Taryn and holds out his hand.

Taryn politely smiles and shakes his hand. "Hello I am Taryn," she says back to him.

"So are you really an elf?" He asks her curiously.

"Yes I am. I'm just short," she says back to him. She knew she was going to get a million questions like that. She was almost 2,700 years old, so she was use to the height questions.

"I've never seen a short elf before. Actually I don't think I have ever met any elf before," Kili says to Taryn.

"Hey brother come here and met Taryn. She is an elf," Kili calls out to his brother. Who Taryn realizes is the blonde dwarf that was just walking on the table.

Fili walks over to where Kili and Taryn are sitting at the dinning room table. He sits down on the other side of Taryn and introduces himself.

"Fili, at your service." He says and bows to her with a smile on his face.

"Hello, I am Taryn." Taryn says to him.

"Taryn, where have we seen that name before brother?" Fili asks Kili.

"I don't know brother," Kili says to Fili.

Taryn excuses herself from the table between Fili and Kili and walks back to the kitchen. As she is out of eye sight Fili and Kili began to talk about her. They forget that with her Elven hearing, she can still hear them perfectly. Taryn cleans her own dishes and pours herself a glass of wine as she listens to them talk.

"She is very gorgeous. Isn't she brother?" Kili says to Fili about Taryn as he looks to where she walked to.

"I guess for an elf she is. She isn't a dwarf though brother." Fili says.

"No, but she is about our height. Actually she isn't much taller then uncle," Kili says.

As Taryn listens she can't help but wonder who their uncle is and who the dwarf is that is late. She doesn't know that this dwarf is Thorin.

When the meal finishes, the dwarves leave the table and begin walking about. Bilbo grabs a doily back from Nori.

"Excuse me, that is a doily, not a dishcloth!" Bilbo says.

"But it's full of holes!" Bofur says to Bilbo.

"It's supposed to look like that, it's crochet." Bilbo says a bit annoyed.

"Oh, and a wonderful game it is too, if you got the balls for it." Bofur says and then laughs.

Taryn laughs over the conversation she just heard as she takes her glass of wine and walks back to the table.

"Bebother and confusticate these dwarves!" Bilbo says.

"My dear Bilbo, what on earth is the matter?" Gandalf asks.

"What's the matter? I'm surrounded by dwarves. What are they doing here?" Bilbo asks.

"Oh, they're quite a merry gathering, once you get used to them." Gandalf says.

Nori has a chain of sausages over his shoulder, and Bofur grabs them from him. They play tug-of-war with the sausages. Taryn just sighs as she listens to the poor hobbit complain about the dwarves.

"I don't want to get used to them. The state of my kitchen! There's mud trod into the carpet, they've pi-pillaged the pantry. I'm not even going to tell you what they've done in the bathroom; they've all but destroyed the plumbing. I don't understand what they're doing in my house!" Bilbo practically yells out.

"Excuse me. I'm sorry to interrupt, but what should I do with my plate?" The youngest looking one named Ori asks.

"Here you go, Ori, give it to me." Fili says.

Fili takes the plate from Ori and throws it to Kili, who throws it behind his back to Bifur, who is standing at the sink in the kitchen. Bifur catches it behind his back, without even looking at it. Kili, Fili, and other dwarves begin throwing the plates, bowls, and utensils to each other, eventually throwing them to the sink to be washed. As dishware flies through the air, Gandalf ducks to avoid getting hit.

"Oh!" Gandalf says.

"Excuse me, that's my mother's West Farthing crockery, it's over a hundred years old!" Bilbo cries out.

The dwarves at the tablet begin rhythmically drumming on the tablet with utensils and their fists.

"And can-can you not do that? You'll blunt them!" Bilbo complains to the dwarves.

"Ooh, d'hear that, lads? He says we'll blunt the knives." Bofur says with a laugh.

Kili begins singing and the other dwarves join him, as they continue throwing the dishware. Taryn watches as the dwarves began to throw around the dishes and sing. She couldn't help but smile. It had been a long time since she had been around dwarves.

"Blunt the knives, bend the forks
Smash the bottles and burn the corks
Chip the glasses and crack the plates
That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
Cut the cloth and tread on the fat
Leave the bones on the bedroom mat
Pour the milk on the pantry floor
Splash the wine on every door
Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl
Pound them up with a thumping pole
When you've finished, if any are whole
Send them down the hall to roll
...
That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!"

Bilbo huffs up in anger, only to find all the dishes stacked neatly and cleanly. The dwarves and Gandalf laugh. Suddenly, there are three loud knocks on the door, and everyone falls silent. Taryn sits at the dinning room table and wonders who is knocking on Bilbo's door.

"He is here." Gandalf says out loud.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, so Thorin will be introduced in the next chapter. Thank you for the reads, votes, and comments.