Sorrowful Goodbyes

Four Weeks Later ;

The springs breeze was gentler than usual, growing through the tussles of your clothes and as your best friend since childhood adjusted your coat.

Her expression softened as the harbours shore crashed against the brick wall.

The boat blew it's horn loudly, awaiting for you to board but Pieck forced you to stay for a few minutes longer, already missing you despite you not having left yet.

Her eyes were teary and sad, her gentle fingers caressing the bone of your cheek as you gave her a comforting smile.
"It's only two years." You shrugged, adjusting your hat once more with your suitcase tightly clasped inbetween your fingertips, "And we'll write letters to eachover the whole time."

"Still.." She weeped, holding your body close against hers, "I'll miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too, Pieck."

She shook her head as she let go of your shoulders and waist, "I'm sorry that Onyankopon couldn't make it to tell you goodbye, he really wanted to, he just-.."

You laughed gently, "I understand. I wasn't expecting him to go all this way just to signal me off. It's okay."

Your eyes skimmed around the area: you watched as different people waved their loved ones goodbye, parents with children, husbands with wives..

Your pupils landed on each person, a little more devestated by each unfamiliar face as you realised it wasn't Levi's.

You knew he wasn't going to have came to say goodbye: why did you have to work yourself up to that final 'I'll miss you'?

Your heart ached too much to stay in Paradis: to see all of those people every single day.

You needed to leave: to get out to a place where you knew nobody, and for the next year, you would get a completely fresh start.

Pieck brought your face close to hers, planting a gentle kiss against your forehead.
She held you close for a few more seconds, before her hands slowly slipped away as you muttered your last goodbyes.

You climbed the boat.

You raced to the top as the engine horned, your arm out-stretched with a smile as you giggly waved her off.

She laughed through her tears, "You better send me a letter as soon as you land!" She called out with a wide smile, waving frantically as the boat began to leave.

Your eyes stung back as you left your home of the past year.
"I will, don't worry!" You called back, feeling as the waves smashed against the boat, a salty taste now in your mouth.

As the boat began to loudly honk: you noticed yourself still checking for Levi.. wanting him to be the last thing you see before setting off-..

But.. nothing.

You were left with nothing but the memories of him that now never failed to make your eyes weep.

You shoved both hands in either pockets, wanting to escape the sea-cold on your fingers.

However, you were left shocked as a crumpling greeted you back.

Your eyebrow raised as your pulled the material out of your pocket,

your eyes widening as you unfolded a letter.

You held the letter so tightly that it almost ripped the edges, your fingers shaking as your eyes recognised the neat, cursive hand writing.

"L-Levi.." You muttered the mans name, wiping a tear from your eye.

You desperately began to read, an yearning for answers beginning to fill your body as your eyes skimmed the page.

' To Y/N Yaeger,

by the time you've found this I have no idea where you'll be. Maybe you'll still be in the barracks, or you'll already be on the other side of the world, but either way I know that I'll never have a peaceful mind until I tell you this.

I've never been a huge romantic - you of all people know that. However, when I first met you I already felt myself begin to change: I wanted to be a better person for you, so that maybe you could see me as something more than a 'Comrade'.

I love you, Y/N.

I always have, and I always will. No matter what ever happens.

When I saw that letter you'd been sent, and I realised how much you wanted to go explore the outside world, how much you wanted that job, I began to truly realise something..

I'm in a wheelchair.

And my face is scarred, so whenever I go out in public all eyes glare at me.

I'm not allowing you to be bounded to me like that. To become my carer, and not my wife like I dreamed you'd become since first meeting you.

You'll never get this 'happy ending' with me; there's a high chance that we'll never be able to have children or start a family, and I'll never be able to stand waiting for you at the end of the isle during our wedding; I'll never be able to carry you to bed when you get tired like I used to; we won't even be able to live in a house with stairs.

I'm not dragging you down with me: I'm not. That's why you had to leave: that's why I lied about never loving you, or Hange making me pretend so you'd stay.

None of it was true, believe me.

Our relationship was the only damn honest and truthful thing in my life, and I never realised how much I needed you until you first arrived on our ship.

I'm in love with you; I love you so much that it hurts to think of you becoming unhappy by my side.

As of now, all I have to do is let you go: I can live on peaceful knowing that you're the most happy you'll ever be, even if it's without me.

You'll be happy, meet another man and fall in love again. You'll raise your own family, and won't have to worry about caring for your husband until your both in your sixties.

And I'll stay here, even when I'm hundreds of miles away, loving you until the day I die.

Goodbye, Y/N.

Yours sincerely,

Levi Ackerman '