reflecting light (l.m.)

(A/N: Here it is! Finally, the last part of the Luis Mendoza mini-series! I know it's a bit short but I really like the way it turned out. I hope you lovelies like it!! The title is a reference to the song Reflecting Light by Sam Phillips. Now, on with the oneshot!!)

       It had just begun to snow as I made my way across campus for hockey practice. I smiled as I thought of the last few weeks. Things with Luis have been going really well. We still weren't dating but our relationship had turned very flirtatious recently. On top of verbal flirting he'd started walking me to my classes, carrying my books, and even calling me to wish me a good night every night. It was all very sweet and it was really starting to prove to me that he was serious about us.

       I know I was the one making us wait to move forward but I had to be sure he was serious. Now that I knew, I planned on letting him know when I saw him at practice. I was ready to start officially dating. Imagine my surprise when I saw him standing outside the rink with Mindy. 

       'I knew it.' I thought to myself, feeling my eyes sting with tears. But before any of them could fall, I heard their conversation.

       "Oh, come on, Luis. You can't tell me you don't miss me." Mindy said.

       "To be honest, I really don't." Luis said, trying to get in the door but Mindy stopped him.

       "Just get back together with me, Luis. We had so much fun together. It can be that way again." Mindy said.

       I looked at Luis and to my slight surprise and happiness, he looked extremely uncomfortable.

      "Mindy..." Luis trailed off. 

       "Come on, Luis. You know we were great together." Mindy said, touching Luis's arm.

       "No, Mindy. I'm sorry but I don't have any feelings for you anymore. I'm in love with Y/N." Luis said, pulling his arm from her grasp.

       "You're in love with Y/N?!" Mindy shrieked.

       "Yeah, you're in love with Y/N?" I heard myself ask. They both turned to me as I blushed, having been caught eavesdropping. 

        Luis was smiling at me while Mindy looked like she wanted to kill me. I didn't exactly blame her. Being rejected hurts. 

       "I am." Luis said simply, not breaking eye contact with me.

       I couldn't stop myself any longer. I dropped my bag and rushed over to Luis. His arms opened and I ran into them, wrapping my arms around Luis's shoulders as his wrapped around my waist. We stood there hugging each other tight as the snow fell around us quietly. By the time we pulled away, Mindy was walking away in the distance.

       "Do you really mean it?" I asked, looking up into Luis's eyes. Tears were coming to my eyes again but this time out of happiness.

       "I do. Y/N, I know you want to take things slow and I'm more than happy to play the long game but I want you to know that I'm not going anywhere. Not with Mindy or anyone else." He said, sweetly. His arms readjusted themselves to be holding me by my sides now. My hands moved to his shoulders.

       "So what do you say? I'm willing to play the long game if you are." Luis asked.

       I pushed myself up to give him a quick peck on the lips. We smiled at each other as we pulled apart.

       "Game on."

(A/N: Was it okay? I know it's short but I tried a bunch of other drafts and they were going nowhere until this came into my head. I'm sorry if I let any of you down! Thanks for reading anyway! I hope you liked it! Until next time! Thanks!!)