lean on me (a.b.) (requested)

(A/N: This oneshot was requested by irene310. Thanks so much for requesting! I hope you like it! The title is a reference to the song of the same name by Bill Withers. Now, on with the oneshot!!)

       "Come on, Y/N. We're going to get some dinner." Connie called out to me. 

       "I'll meet you guys there. I'm gonna wait for Adam." I said, still towel drying my hair. That earned me a nod and a few 'see you later's from the rest. 

       I was really worried about Adam. Ever since that goon broke his stick over Adam's wrist, he'd been babying it which was extremely unlike him. I was starting to think that it might be worse than what he was saying.

        I hung up my towel and grabbed my hairbrush. As I finished brushing, Adam exited the boys side of the showers, dressed and towel swung over his shoulder. He was holding his wrist gingerly as he sat down on the bench.

       "It's still hurting, isn't it?" I asked. Adam spun around, surprised to see me.

        "Y/N, what are you doing here still?" Adam asked.

        "Don't try to change the subject, Banks. Your wrist is still hurting." I walked forward and sat down in front of him.

       He tried to hide his wrist but I caught his hand before he could. It really looked bad. It was covered in blotchy bruises, colors of black and blue played across the back of his wrist.

       "Adam...you have to tell Coach about this." I said quietly.

       "You know I can't do that. He'll bench me and I need to play." Adam said, tearing his wrist from my grasp. Even that had him flinching.

       "But Adam-"

       "No, Y/N! I can't tell him. And you can't either. Promise me that you won't tell." Adam said, putting his good hand on my shoulder.

       "Adam, if you don't do something about it now then it'll just get worse!" I tried to persuade him.

       "Promise me, Y/N!" Adam said, determinedly.

       "I-I promise." I said.

       Adam gave a sigh of relief and released my shoulder. Little did he know, I had my fingers crossed behind my back.

       "Good. I'm almost done. Why don't you go wait in the hall?" He suggested.

       I nodded and quickly made my way outside. Just as I made my way out the door, I ran into someone.

       "Oh, I'm sorry." I said. To my surprise, the person I bumped into was Coach Bombay. Oh no.

       "No problem, Y/N. Good job at practice today." Coach said, continuing to walk past me.

       "Hey, Coach?" I called out.

       "Yes, Y/N?" Coach asked.

       I bit my tongue as I watched him turn back towards me. What was I going to do? Do I tell Coach about Adam's wrist or do I stay quiet? Do I betray Adam's trust? 

       "Y/N?" Coach asked again.

       "Um, well, Adam's still in the locker room and he wanted to talk to you." I said.

       "Oh. Okay. Thanks for letting me know. I'll head over there right now." Coach said with a nod towards me.

       I nodded back as I started walking away, my stomach twisting into knots. I hope I did the right thing.

(A/N: Thanks again to irene310 for the request! I hope you liked it! Requests are currently open so send them in if you got 'em to the chapter 'A/N: Requests are OPEN! (7/13/22)'. The date will change each day that requests are open as a reminder. Until next time! Thanks!!)