Chapter Thirty

I paced the hallway as I waited for news. I needed to know that she was safe. I needed her to wake up and tell me that she was okay. I needed to look into her deep blue eyes and tell her how much I loved her and couldn't bear to be without her. I glanced through the window and saw Caleb still working. Why was it taking so long. Just to be able to hear her voice again was all that I longed for.

I pressed my head against resus door and sighed.

"You okay Ethan?" I heard Rita ask.

I nodded slowly.

"Depends on whether or not she is okay." I admitted.

"Caleb will take good care of her, you know he will." she reassured me.

"I just wish I could help her, I feel so useless." I admitted.

"Give me your hand." she said randomly.

I frowned and gave her my hand.

"You're shaking." she stated.

"So?" I asked.

"So, it's best that you don't perform surgery." she said.

"I guess you're right." I sighed.

"I know I'm right." she grinned, trying to lighten the mood.

I smiled slightly at her. She sighed as I began to pace the hallway. I hated how vulnerable Emma made me. Being with her had finally given me some confidence, like somehow she had started to fix me. I placed my hands in my pocket and gasped as I realised her ring was still in there. I held it tightly between my fingers. I could feel Rita's eyes on me as I took it out my pocket and stared at it. I would treasure it until the moment that I could put it back on her finger.

My head snapped up as resus door opened and Caleb came out.

"How is she?" I asked quickly.

"Fine, the tube is in place." he said.

I sagged against the wall in relief.

"We're going to move her to a private room for the next few days." he added.

I nodded slowly.

"Thanks Caleb." I whispered.

"Have more faith in me next time." he said quietly as he walked away.

I watched him leave. I couldn't be bothered to go after him, he wasn't my priority right now.

"I need to see her." I told Rita as I walked into resus.