Chapter Forty Six

Emma's POV

I was rushed off my feet. After telling Ethan that it would be quiet, we'd had a major car accident come in. Four casualties at last count. I ran my hands through my hair as I rushed around the hospital.

"Have the bloods for Mr Howell come back yet?" I heard Dylan call.

"Not yet, I haven't had a chance to take them yet!" I exclaimed.

"Well get to it then." he said shortly.

I sighed and quickly walked to the store room. I grabbed some needles, syringes and blood tubes and quickly walked to Mr Howell.

"Hi there, I'm just going to take some blood." I told him.

He smiled at me, but didn't say anything.

He flinched slightly as I placed the needle into his arm.

"Sorry." I said gently.

"Nurse Chambers when you've done that, I need your help with a patient." Caleb said as he rushed past.

I nodded and placed the blood into tubes.

"Max can you take these bloods to the lab for a full profile, U's and E's please?" I asked him.

"Sure." he winked.

I smiled my thanks at him and rushed after Caleb.

He smiled at me and led me to a patient.

"This is Ellie she fell off her bike and landed on her head, has been vomiting intermittently ever since. She is conscious but barely, can you get x-rays, bloods, and a CT please." he told me.

I nodded and took bloods as he assessed her.

"We're leaving her on the board and the neck brace on at the moment as a precaution." he said.

"I feel sick." I heard her say.

"Caleb we need to tip her!" I cried.

I quickly grabbed a bowl as he tipped her board.

"Best get the suction too." he said.

I winked at him and showed him that I was already holding it. I quickly used it to remove any residue from the back of her throat.

When she finally stopped vomiting Caleb gently tipped her back.

"CT are ready for her." Lofty called.

"Okay let's go." Caleb said as he kicked the brake off the bed.

We eventually placed her into the scanner and made our way to the control room. I sat next to him as he watched the screen, waiting for the images to come through.

"How's Ethan?" he asked.

"Fine, bored probably." I chuckled.

"So when's the big day?" he questioned.

"Not for a while probably, he wants to get a car." I told him.

He smirked slightly and nodded.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing." he grinned.

"Caleb!" I cried.

"Seems like he's stalling." he said.

"It's not like that, we haven't spoken about planning the wedding yet." I said defensively.

"Whatever you say." he shrugged.

"I really wanted to be friends with you, but you just can't stop stirring up." I sighed.

"It's just my opinion." he stated.

"Maybe for once you should learn to keep it to yourself." I suggested.

He looked away from me and stared at the screen.

"How does the scan look?" I asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"No sign of a brain injury, I think she just has a bad concussion." he said.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"We'll take her back upstairs and I'll get her transferred to a ward." he stated.

Once we had moved Ellie back upstairs, Caleb wandered away to complete the necessary paperwork. A few moments later he returned:

"Max can you take Ellie upstairs please." he called.

"Thanks for taking such good care of her." her Mum said as she took Ellie's hand and walked next to her.

I smiled after them.

"I can give you a lift home when we finish?" Caleb offered.

"I live in Kent, it's a bit out of your way." I told him.

"Jeez!" he exclaimed.

I nodded.

"Are you working tomorrow night too?" he asked.

"Yeah, why?" I frowned.

"I'm working tomorrow night too, so I can take you home when we finish, crash on your sofa for a bit and take you back to the hospital tomorrow night." he stated.

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea." I sighed.

"I won't start anything." he reassured me.

"I'll think about it." I told him.

I sighed and looked at the time.

"I'm just going to take my break." I called to Caleb as I walked to the staff room.

I opened the staff room door and gasped as I saw Ethan sitting at the table.

"Were you really that bored?" I grinned.

He shook his head.

"We need to talk." he said sternly.

I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat and sat next to him.