Chapter Forty

Ethan's POV

"Tess could you request a history for Tara Johnson please?" I asked her.

"Of course." she smiled.

"Thanks." I said.

I sat down at the desk and quickly typed a prescription.

"This is for Mrs Summers." I told Tess as I handed the prescription to her.

I looked up as I saw someone standing at the desk. I frowned as I saw that they were wearing police uniforms.

"Can I help?" I asked them.

"We're here to speak to Emma Chambers." he answered.

"Have you found the driver?" I blurted.

"We can't discuss it." he said bluntly.

"I'm her fiancé and her next of kin." I told him.

He looked at me suspiciously.

"Dr Ethan Hardy, I think you'll find that I'm on her next of kin records." I said shortly.

"We're following up some leads, but that's all I can say." he said impatiently.

"I'll take you to her." I sighed.

I walked through to resus and quietly opened the door.

"Dr Hanna, I need to borrow Nurse Chambers for a moment." I told Zoe.

I watched Zoe as she looked between the two of us. I saw recognition on her face as she noticed the police standing behind me.

"I'll help Zoe." I heard Lofty tell Emma.

She smiled her thanks at him and walked over to the police.

"Is there somewhere that we can talk in private?" they asked her.

"This way." she said as she led them to the staff room.

I hovered in the doorway as she sat with them. I didn't want to leave her alone. Despite everything that was going on I still wanted to protect her.

"We were hoping that you could remember what had happened." he asked.

"I've been trying to, I remember stepping out into the road but that's all." she admitted.

"Did you see the car before you stepped out?" they asked, frantically taking notes.

"No, I was distracted by something..." she said hesitantly. I could see that she was frowning as she desperately tried to remember.

"By what?" they prompted.

"I can't remember." she said sadly.

"By me." I admitted.

I blushed as they all turned to look at me.

"We had an argument, and you looked back at me." I said quietly.

"What were you arguing about?" he asked me suspiciously.

"My brother Caleb." I sighed.

I locked eyes with Emma and saw that she still hadn't looked away from me. A look of confusion and fascination was etched on her beautiful face.

"I would never hurt her if that's what you are implying." I snapped.

He quickly looked away from me.

"Did you happen to see who was driving the vehicle?" he asked her.

She shook her head slowly.

"It was a Peugeot of some sort, a black one." I told them.

I could feel Emma's eyes on me, she didn't seem to be able to tear her eyes away from me.

"We have looked at the CCTV and we think that the driver was male." they told her.

"It would appear that you were at fault for stepping out in front of him but he will still be charged with hit and run." he added.

"Make sure you catch him." I said angrily.

"We'll keep you informed of any developments." he said as he put his notebook away.

"Thanks for both of your time." he said as he walked away.

After they left, I eventually locked eyes with Emma. I saw that she was welling up.

"I'm so sorry Ethan." she sobbed as she stood up and ran into my arms.