Chapter Thirty Eight

"Are you ready to do a handover?" Caleb asked me when my shift finally ended.

I quickly left Emma's room and closed the door behind myself.

"She's been fine, the tube was taken out earlier and she seems to be coping fine. She hasn't had any morphine she is managing with paracetamol." I told him.

"When is she being discharged?" he asked.

"Tomorrow probably." I answered.

He nodded slowly as I handed him her notes.

"Has she shown any signs of remembering yet?" he enquired.

"Small signs but nothing definate." I told him.

"I need to tell you something." he said.

"What have you done now?" I sighed.

"Nothing!" he exclaimed.

I raised my eyebrow skeptically.

"The first night she came in after the accident, after you left she was in a lot of pain so I had to give her some morphine." he said.

"Yeah I know, I saw that in the notes." I whispered.

"I had to give her quite a high dose and she was pretty out of it, didn't know where she was or what was going on." he stated.

"What are you getting at?" I frowned.

"I don't know how to tell you this." he sighed.

"Well try." I said impatiently.

"She had...a miscarriage." he said quietly.

I froze in shock. I felt like my limbs had gone heavy. I leant against the wall to support myself. I closed my eyes for a moment as I tried to process the information. I could feel my hands shaking.

"Why the hell didn't she tell me she was pregnant?!" I hissed.

"It was too early, I doubt she would've known." he said quietly.

"So are you saying she was so out of it, she doesn't know about the miscarriage?" I asked him.

"I don't think she knows, I can't say for sure but I doubt it." he confirmed.

"Why isn't it in the notes?" I asked.

"I thought I should tell you beforehand." he said.

I stared at his concerned expression. I couldn't help but wonder if he was telling the truth or not. I didn't trust him and I never would. Was he really capable of something like this? I stared at him for a long time, trying to interpret his expression. He seemed genuinely concerned.

"You can see the hormone levels in the bloods are strange." he said as he handed me a sheet of paper.

My heart sank as I looked at the results and saw that he was telling the truth.

"You kept all this to yourself for the last two days!" I snapped.

"I was trying to protect you, I thought you needed time to come to terms with the accident before you had more to deal with." he said quietly.

"I'm not all bad." he added.

I looked away from him. Emma would be devastated when she found out. I was struggling to deal with it, let alone how she'd feel. I needed to protect her from the pain.

"Speaking of keeping secrets, I have a favour to ask?" I said quietly.

"What?" he asked.

"Don't tell her." I whispered as I looked in the window and saw her sleeping.

"I think it should come from you anyway." he answered.

"I'm not going to tell her." I whispered.

He frowned at me.

"It'll be our secret." I told him.

"But..." he started.

"Caleb." I warned.

"Fine, I won't say anything." he sighed.

"I need some air." I said numbly.