37. "What Time?"✔️

Oct 27th
Thursday , 2:40pm

Oct 27thThursday , 2:40pm

T A J R O M A E
ᵀᴬᴶ ᴿᴼᴹᴬᴱ

I stare out in space, thinking of ideas for my Communication Studies reflection. I decide to be different and write a monologue. Mi say mi wicked to miself essi.

Mrs. Roache wants to see at least a page of what we have so far and I can barely come up with something and the class is over in twenty minutes.

"Taj just relax your brain nuh," I hear Zahir say and I look at him with a radiant smile.

"Where you reach?" I ask.

He passes his book to Zahira and she hands it to me before focusing on her story.

Zahir is writing a poem.

Better mi did write this enuh..

The moment I read his first stanza my eyes finds him. "First part sounds so good," I compliment before I start reading again. He's focused on Sports. As expected.

In my peripheral vision he stretches and takes up my book. "Wah you a write?"

"A monologue," I laugh. I want to be different but you see where that takes me?

"What's your topic?" he questions as he reads my single sentence. "Crime and violence?"

"Yeah it deh a the top," I retort.

"Oh," he simply says and the more I read his poem I melt in each line. Damn, it's impressive. He's not only good with numbers but also words. Usually people who are good at Maths either hate English or they're simply bad at it.

Yuh member say a Campion him did pass for?

That, I can't forget.

When I'm cognizant of the time I pause and look at my watch and realize that we only have five minutes remaining. Shit.

"Zahir," I stretch my hand without looking.

He doesn't respond causing me to dart my gaze to him. The moment I do my heart warms. He's writing in my book.

I attempt to say something but nothing comes out.

He realizes that I'm stretching his book to him and he takes it just before writing another line in my book.

"You write it for me?" I ask as I see what was once a blank page with only a single sentence now filled with words.