30. Little Lies

"Who owns this bottle?" She asked, looking amongst them all. No one spoke. They all looked down to the ground, not wanting to say anything. Professor McGonagall stood tall. "Who owns this, I asked." Again, no one said anything. "Very well," she snapped, and she raised her hand, clicking her fingers. The group's hands suddenly stretched out together, and McGonagall put her own hand on top. Sloane knew what was happening before it did and closed her eyes, and leaned into Draco's chest, wrapping her free arm around him. When she opened her eyes, she was in the Headmistress' office. And she was still holding Draco. She blushed and dropped her hand as Blaise passed Goose to her.

"Now," Professor McGonagall said, walking around them as they stood in a circle. "Having alcohol on the school grounds is completely against the rules. Especially out in plain sight, like the Quidditch pitch. What kind of example is that setting for the younger ones?" No one spoke. The headmistress sighed. "If no one is going to confess, I have no choice but to punish you all. Severely. This is a serious offence. I think," she looked around them all. "Banning you from the Quidditch teams should suffice." There was an immediate uproar from everyone but Hermione, Luna, and Sloane. "AND," the Headmistress continued. "For you girls who do not play, you shall receive demerits and a month's worth of detentions. PLUS a ban from the library."

This seems a little excessive to Sloane, but now they were all protesting! Professor McGonagall couldn't make out what anyone was saying. "SILENCE!" She shouted across the room. Everyone looked up and shut up. She had never sounded so angry before. "Now, I am sorry to those of you who are innocent in this, but if you are not willing to tell me who is responsible I will have no choice but to call your parents and -"

"It was me." Ron nearly shit himself. He couldn't believe what had happened. But it wasn't him to claim responsibility. It was Sloane. 

"This bottle belongs to you, Miss Sage?" Professor McGonagall gasped. 

Sloane nodded. "Yes, ma'am." She looked down. 

"And it was only you?" She asked. 

Harry and Draco both went to open their mouths, but Sloane, whose hands were behind her back, grabbed both boys' tops and pulled on them. "Yes, ma'am. Only me. No one else had anything to do with it. I am sorry I dragged you guys into it." She looked around at the complete shock on everyone's faces. No one was more shocked than Ron, who at this stage had severely sobered up.

"Well, Miss Sage. I am deeply disappointed in your behaviour. I do not tolerate behaviour like this at my school. You know I am well within my rights to expel you for bringing alcohol into my school."

"I understand Headmistress." She said quietly. 

"And you are sure that no one else was involved in this scandal?" She looked down through her glasses at everyone else to see their reactions. 

"No ma'am. Like I said. No one else was involved. I brought the bottle. I am the only one who drank from it, and I am the one who should be punished." Sloane looked up at the Headmistress. She saw a sort of flash in McGonagall's eyes, but she wasn't sure what it was exactly. 

"Well, if that is truly the case, the rest of you may go. But know that I will be watching you very closely." No one moved to begin with. Actually, Draco and Harry moved closer to Sloane. "Ladies and gentlemen. My tolerance is wearing thin. I know that you are worried about your friend but I am telling you to leave...NOW!" 

"Sorry, Sloane," Draco and Harry whispered as everyone else (except Ron) patted her on the back, Luna lifting Goose as they walked out, closing the door behind them. 

"I am deeply astonished by your behaviour, Miss Sage." Professor McGonagall said, coming around her desk to stand next to Sloane. "Sit down, please." Sloane took a seat, and the headmistress sat next to her. She clenched her hands together. "Sloane, I know that you are not the one who is the owner of this bottle."  Sloane's head snapped up to the Headmistress.