Chapter 66

Markus drove to Pandora's Crystals, parking his vehicle in front of the store. Mitchell had decided to help decorate instead of accompanying him. Charlie was unpacking boxes when he entered the store. He walked over to the counter and leaned against it.

"Do you need any help with those?" Markus asked.

  Charlie looked up at him. "I wouldn't say no to your help. This delivery arrived earlier than expected. Put these on that shelf over there." Charlie pointed to a shelf near to the counter and handed him a box cutter.

"What's in this box?"

"Relaxation candles."

  Markus look at the box in his hand before opening it. He took out a candle jar, inhaling the sweet fragrance emitting from the candle. They were different scents and designs.

"Can I get one of each candles wrapped?"

  Charlie stared at him then at the box in his hand. "You want to get those for yourself?"

"No. I'm getting them as a present."

  Markus placed the box on the counter and went to get another one from the floor. He helped Charlie unpack the other boxes, then walked around to browse the store. He saw a few items that he decided to buy, grabbing them from the shelf.

"I'm surprised Mitchell isn't here with you?"

  He turned around and walked towards the counter, where Charlie was busy wrapping the candles. He placed the rest of his stuff on the counter.

"I'll take these as well."

"You're wearing the ring." Charlie asked, but his attention was still on the candles.

  Markus traced the ring on his finger. The ring felt warm against his skin, as though it was soothing him, while the luminous red stone seemed to glow at him.

"It feels like it's protecting me."

"Make sure you never take it off."

  Markus frowned at him, because that was weird thing to tell someone. He looked down at his hand, tracing the shape of the ring. He was feeling the same connection that he felt the first time he wore it. 

 "Thanks again. I'll see you around Charlie."

  Charlie stared down at the ring then up at him. "It's very important that you never take it off."

 "Why?"

"I'll tell you at your birthday party. But it's important."

"Okay, I won't take it off." Markus promised sensing the urgency in his voice.

  Markus left the store and put his purchases on the back seat, got into his vehicle and drove to the diner. When he entered the diner, eyes turned in his direction, making him feel the tension in the air. He knew they wanted to ask him about Mitchell.

  He sat down at the counter and placed his order. While waiting the owner of the diner walked over to where he was sitting. Markus smiled at the older woman when she hugged him.

"Hey, Markus. I haven't seen you in a while. How are you?"

"Good. I've been busy."

"There's nothing wrong with keeping busy. Keeps you out of trouble."

"How are you doing today?"

"I can't complain."

  Markus could literally feel her stare burning a hole into his face, so he turned on the stool to face her. "I know you guys want answers, but it'll have to wait until my parents return."

"I just want to know one thing."

"What is it?"

"Have you been feeling different lately?"

"What do you mean, different?" He asked, feigning ignorance at her question. He already knew there was something wrong with him. The less people that knew that he was changing, the better for him.

"I should probably keep my opinions to myself."

"Do you know something about me?" He asked.

  She turned to look at the door when it chimed. Tim entered the diner, a wide smile on his face, making a beeline for Markus, never pausing to greet the others.

"It's been a while, Markus."

  Markus forced back a grimace before giving him a smile that didn't reach his eyes. He had been  avoiding Tim as much as possible, since he last had dinner at his house.

  What the hell was taking so long with his order?

"It hasn't been that long."

"Hey, Milly. Looking lovely as always." Tim gave her a wide smile before taking the seat next to him.

  He breathed out a relieved breath when the waitress finally brought out his order. He stood up to pay but Tim stopped him.

"It's my treat."

"I don't need you paying for me."

"Think of this as an early birthday present. I know you won't turn my gift down."

  Markus reluctantly accepted Tim's offer to pay for his order, before saying goodbye and leaving the diner. On the drive home, he decided to make another stop at Dean's home. When he parked his car, he noticed that Dean's vehicle wasn't in the driveway. If he wasn't at home then he was probably at his parents house. He would have to visit him another time.

   When Markus drove through the gate, he noticed the two vehicles parked in the driveway. He recognized one of the vehicle, which belonged to Tia. Grabbing the food from the seat, he exited the car and walked up to the door but he didn't entered right away.

  With a few extra minutes outside, Markus opened the door. When he walked in to the living-room, he saw Tia, Chris and Tracy sitting with Mitchell and Susan.

  They hadn't heard him enter. So. he stood there listening to their conversation.

"I gave the information to friend of mine."

"Do you trust this friend?" Mitchell asked.

"We can trust him."

  He saw Mitchell glance down at his phone then looked towards the door, eyes widening slightly when he saw him leaning against the wall.

"Markus..." He stood up, "How long have you been standing there?"

"I just came in." Markus walked the rest of the way into the room, and placed the bag of food down on the small table. "I didn't know you guys would be here."

"Last minute decision." Tia said, getting up.

"Hmm..."