Therapy

Today I will come to a therapy session with Leah. I'm glad that she agreed on letting me come with her because she was sort of hiding everything about therapy for weeks and now finally lets me in. I hope I can help her with that and give her a better feeling.

We go there and as soon as we enter the building, Leah takes my hand. She is tightly holding on to my hand the entire time.

"Are you okay?" I ask her since I start to worry about her easily.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Are you?" She says.

"I'm good. I'm excited." I answer. We go and knock at the door. I look over at Leah a few times to make sure she is feeling good. She seems to be fine. Maria opens the door a few moments later. She has a nice smile on her face. She looks quite young. She can't be much older than us. She has brown hair which is tied up in a ponytail and a few curly strands hanging into her face. She seems so friendly just without saying something.

"Hi Maria." Leah greets her.

"Hello, I'm Emma. Leah's wife." I hold my hand out for her and shake her hand.

"It's nice to meet you. I already heard so much about you." Maria says at me. "Come on in." She guides us in. Leah still hasn't let go from my hand the entire time. We sit on a couch together with Maria sitting on the opposite side of us. The room looks quite nice. Everything looks so much like home and nothing like a doctors office or something like this. I just sit and wait for something to happen. I have no idea how this works here so I kind of just watch along at first.

"So Leah how are you today?" Maria asks. She sounds so warm and lovely.

"I'm actually pretty good." Leah says.

"And in the last days? Did anything changed about the way you were feeling?"

"Overall I was feeling good this week. I didn't think much about him or what he did." Leah answers. I could really see that she was feeling better this week.

"But sometimes you did think about him?" Maria asks but she knows the answer.

"Yeah." Leah nods.

"In which situations does that happen?"

"Mostly at night or when I'm alone. I think I need distraction." Leah says. I look over at her in that moment. I instantly feel bad for her again.

"We want to take you to a point where you don't need distraction. Can you tell me what the best moment in the last week was for you?" Maria says.

"On my own?" Leah asks.

"No, overall. Doesn't matter if you were alone or with someone. Just when did you feel the most happy?" She says. I'm excited about Leah's answer on that.

"On Friday Emma took me to the park and we watched some lighted balloons that flew in the sky. We were there for I think 4 hours and I didn't think about anything else than us for one second. I was just happy. We kissed and danced in the rain and I think it was the best moment ever since what happened." Leah tells her. I have to smile at that. I'm glad that I could make her feel like that. Maria looks over at me while Leah tells her about that day.

"Emma, why did you take Leah there?" She asks me. I like that she asks me questions as well and includes me in the session.

"I sort of recognised that Leah was stressed and nervous often times in the last weeks so I wanted to have an evening with no worries. I wanted to take her away from all that feelings and just wanted to make her happy because that is what I missed most." I say.

"Did that work?" Maria asks Leah.

"It did." She nods. "But shouldn't I be able to make me feel like that by myself?" She asks. That's an interesting question.