Wait For Me(Rise!Raph x Reader)

Raph sits at the island counter in the kitchen, a warm cup of tea in his hand. His eyes wash over the scene in front of him, taking in the details. The lair was warm and cozy, a stark contrast to the wet, cold surface. He could faintly hear the rain thrumming against the concrete above. It was peaceful, with everyone being holed up in the lair. You were there, sitting with his brothers. Mikey was showing off another one of his drawings, your praise for his art singing high. Raph smiles behind the lip of his mug, happy everyone was getting along so well.

They all knew you were leaving soon. Off to college as most kids your age were. Raph puts his mug down and stares into the golden liquid, a small frown on your face. He never did conjure up the courage to tell you how he felt and now he was certain he never could. How could he, after you told them all you were leaving for college. 30 minutes from now, you would be on a bus heading to the airport so you could make it to college.

The large snapper chewed on the inside of his cheek. He couldn't help but feel bitter about it, even if it was technically his own fault. Maybe if he told you earlier, or even told you at all, you might've stayed. Or, you might've at least picked a college closer to home. But now it was too late, and the person he loved was leaving. Would you still visit? Would you still call? Raph hoped so. He really really hoped so.

Leo walks into the kitchen, waving at his older brother. At Leo's approach, Raph scoots over slightly to make room for the younger turtle. Leo sits next to Raph, resting his elbows on the counter and his chin in his palms.

"You haven't told them."

Raph avoids his brother's gaze, sipping on his tea as a distraction. The liquid inside was quickly depleting from the amount of times Raph had done this. He really needed a refill. Or a better excuse. He couldn't stomach seeing you before you left, possibly forever. "Raph knows."

"You should probably do it soon, you're running out of time." Leo says, looking past the doorway and into the living room where everyone else was situated. Even Donnie had been hanging out with you all day, despite claiming he was too busy.

Raph only sighs at his brother's words. Leo was right, he knew he was. You were leaving, and here he was, avoiding you. This was the worst way to do it. His voice sounds defeated as he speaks in his low tone. "Raph knows."

Leo watches as Raph swirls the rest of his tea in its cup before drinking it in one final gulp. Raph gets off the chair he was sitting in and sets the mug carefully in the sink, grabbing the dish soap and washing it out. Leo says nothing, and neither does Raph. It was a heavy silence, much thicker than the airy tone of the room just next door. Raph could hear your voice sounding loud and clear as you swapped stories with his youngest brothers.

He puts the now clean mug on the dish rack as you wrap up a story about something one of your coworkers did, April's loud laughter echoing around. Raph could sense Leo's stare, his scales itching at the feeling. He knew he was being a coward, and wasn't acting like a hero at all. How could he fight bad guys if he couldn't even tell you about his stupid crush?

Raph doesn't know how long he stood there, staring into the sink as he contemplated what to do. Telling you wouldn't help anything, you were still leaving. But, it might just make the visits back home just that more sweet. Raph exhales slowly. He would tell you.

When Raph turns around, he is hit by the stark realization Leo was gone. Raph listens for a moment, expecting to hear your voice sounding loud through the lair, but all is silent. A pit forms in the snapper's stomach as he carefully walks forward, peeking his head through the doorway. You were gone. Raph looks back and forth between the lair. His brothers were still there, as were the Casey's, April, and his dad, but you were nowhere to be found. Raph felt sick.

"Where's (Y/n)?" He asks, already knowing the answer. You had left. The faces of Mikey and Casey Jr. confirm this, both looking uncomfortable. Donnie glances up from his phone at the eldest brother, nodding his head towards the door.

"Oh they just left. If you hurry, you might be able to catch them."

Raph nods, thankful for his brother's advice as he takes off with nothing more than a hushed goodbye. He couldn't let you leave, not without saying goodbye. He couldn't understand why you didn't in the first place. Raph pushes the growing thought out of his head. In reality, you probably tried, but ended up getting ignored by him in his half lucid state.

Raph lifted open the manhole cover that led to the surface, runoff water pouring onto his face. He shakes it off with a grimace, climbing out of the sewers and standing in the vacant alleway. The downpour quickly drenches Raph despite having only been outside for mere moments. The water doesn't stop him however, as he quickly starts to make his way to the bus stop, and by association, you.

He would tell you how it feels even if it killed him. He had to.

Raph quickly makes his way to the rooftops, running and jumping despite the slick surfaces from the rain. Was it dangerous? Yes. Did Raph care in the slightest? No. His goal was to get to you before you left, and he planned to complete it.

The bus stop comes into view and Raph skids to a halt a couple rooftops away. Water was running down his face and into his eyes, making it hard to see. The cold water makes him shiver as he scans the ground for your figure. He couldn't lose you, not yet.

His body almost crumples in relief when he sees you approaching, your raincoat, boots and umbrella making you easy to spot. Raph jumps down into the closet alley to the bus stop, waiting patiently for you to walk by. He didn't want to scare you, but he couldn't risk being seen.

Once he notices you're about to walk in front of the alley opening, he calls out your name. Your head turns, and your eyes meet. Raph smiles warmly at you, gently taking you by the hand and pulling you into the shadows of the alley. Your bus arrived in nearly seven minutes, so he had to make this fast. Short, sweet, and to the point.

"Can Raph kiss you?" Raph panics slightly at the words that tumble out of his mouth without permission. That was too short. Raph stumbles over his words a bit at your confused face, trying to explain himself. "Raph- I love you. I've loved you for such a long time, and I can't let you go. Not like this. I didn't even get to say goodbye."

Your hands cupping his face was not what Raph expected, nor the smug smile. You pull him in for a kiss, your lips meeting his in a gentle succession. Raph's knees nearly buckle before he steadies himself once more. The snapper's heart swelled in his chest, and he had to keep himself from pulling you back when you separated.

"Wait for me." You whisper against his lips, the bus that would start your journey beginning to pull to a stop. Raph thought it was a silly request, he would wait a lifetime if it meant he got to see you again. Raph kisses you again as an answer, his large hands hovering just above your sides. He was terrified he might never let go if he held you now. You pull back from him, your eyes shining with fresh tears to match the falling rain. You give Raph a final wave before heading to the bus, disappearing around the corner to load on. Raph watches your fleeting form, frozen for just a moment. He quickly makes his way onto the roof, watching as the bus drives off, taking you with it. Raph wanted you back already, the pang in his heart growing stronger every inch the bus gained.

---

Words: 1429

Posted: 08.06.23

Prompt(s) requested: 7(Running in the rain)

Request: my request is action 7, rise raph. Raph confesses something very sweet to the reader

A/n: YO THIS IS IT! I'M DONE! This is my last request from the follower special. I'm so tired. I hope I did Raph justice, he's always difficult for me to write. Also, I've never written a kiss scene like this before, which is probably obvious form how bad it was. Anyways, I'm going to go do homework now. Any criticism is welcome, constructive or not. This is supposed to be a gender neutral reader, so if I screwed up somewhere, please tell me.