Chapter 30 | S1: Hell's Haven

Sunoo's POV

As I stepped into the house, the weight of the day clung to me. The encounter with Minho and the contemplation of joining forces against Heeseung lingered in my thoughts.

Heeseung was in the kitchen, putting the finishing touches on a meal. The sweet aroma filled the air, momentarily distracting me from the tumult within. "Sun, you're back," he greeted, a genuine smile on his face.

"Yeah, you feeling okay now?" I responded, managing a smile in return.

Heeseung nodded and mumbled. Dinner started pleasantly enough. We exchanged small talk about my day at school.

As we continued, the conversation began to shift. Heeseung's casual inquiries took a subtle turn, probing into the recesses of my day. "Anything interesting happened today, Sun?"

My guard remained intact, but I could sense a sinister undercurrent beneath his seemingly innocent questions. "Mhm, not really," I replied, maintaining a facade of normalcy.

Heeseung's gaze bore into me, as if searching for any signs of deception. "You sure? Nothing out of the ordinary?"

The tension escalated, and I felt the weight of his scrutiny. "Just a regular day," I insisted, my voice steady despite the unease settling in my stomach.

His lips curled into a semblance of a smile, but his eyes held a sharp glint. "You know, secrets don't last long, Sun. Eventually, they surface."

A chill ran down my spine, and I took a measured breath. "What are you talking about?"

Heeseung's smile widened, now devoid of its earlier warmth. "Oh, nothing much. Just that some secrets are harder to keep than others."

The air thickened with an unspoken tension. I maintained composure, refusing to reveal the internal turmoil.

Then, Heeseung's facade crumbled, revealing the storm of rage within, "Sun," he spat with an edge, the pretense of civility shattered. "I know about your little rendezvous today. Don't think you can deceive me."

His words hung in the air, an unspoken threat that sent a shiver down my spine. The facade of our domesticity crumbled, revealing the beast beneath.

"What? I have no idea what you're talking about," I retorted, my voice betraying the anxiety beneath the surface.

His eyes, once tender, transformed into a tempest of fury. "Enough of your lies, Sunoo!" he roared, the once welcoming atmosphere now replaced with an oppressive silence.

I froze, my breath caught in my throat, as Heeseung's anger erupted like a volcano. He stood up from his seat and made his way in front of me, his hand shot out, a searing slap crashing against my cheek. Pain flared, and I staggered, catching myself against the dining table.

"You dare lie to me?!" he spat, his voice a venomous hiss. "After everything I've given you and willing to give you, every kindness and sincerity I've shown, you repay me with fucking deceit?!"

His words struck like a knife, each one leaving a stinging wound. The room felt smaller, the air heavy with the weight of his rage. "I-I really don't know what you're talking about," I managed to utter, my voice shaky but defiant.

Heeseung's eyes bore into mine, a blend of betrayal and fury. "Don't lie, Sunoo. I know you met with Minho. Planning something against me, are you?"

The truth hung in the charged air, and I clung to my silence as if it were a shield. Heeseung's frustration escalated, his hand gripping my arm with a force that made my breath catch. "Answer me you little-" he demanded as he slapped me again. My cheek was burning.