Chapter 4: New Home

It had been a couple of weeks after Diddy had saved those four new kongs, and things had gotten a little better for him too. After spending almost six hours at school putting up with his annoying classmates, the afternoons were spent with his new friends, and the whole atmosphere changed in him, even improving his mood.

Donkey and Diddy were at their house. That day was Cranky's birthday and, even though he was a grump, they still loved him and celebrated his birthday like every year.

"Hey, little buddy, we're making Cranky that dinner for his birthday today," Donkey informed. "We and Candy will prepare a huge banana cake."

"Wow, I hope that later he doesn't come out with his 'Oh, no, in my time no one celebrated birthdays with those cake antics'" Diddy responded imitating Cranky, to which Donkey laughed.

"Buh! We'll still celebrate," said Donkey, shrugging his shoulders and finishing laughing. "He has to be happy no matter what."

"Hey, Donkey, are you going out today?"

"Just now I was going to Funky's to prepare everything. Do you want to come?"

"I'll go later. Wait for me there," Diddy responded, since, like the previous days, he was going to visit his new friends.

A few minutes passed, and then Donkey came out. After that, Diddy headed to his friends.

Diddy arrived at their house and was thinking about taking them for a walk again... But then, he stopped before the strange scene he found: the house was more deteriorated than it was before, a part of it had already collapsed... and, besides, there was no one present.

Diddy wondered where the four kongs were and decided to go look for them. He began to call each of them by name out loud, but he received no response. Until later, he saw them in the distance: they were on the shore of the beach building what seemed to be a boat. Diddy immediately headed over to where they were, wondering what they were planning.

"Hey!" Diddy called them as he arrived. "Hi! I was looking for you."

"Oh, hi, Diddy..." Dixie replied in a somewhat serious tone. "It's good that you arrived, we were going to see you."

The four of them greeted Diddy... Although this time, instead of looking happy, they had a serious expression, which seemed a bit strange to Diddy.

"Is something happening?" Diddy asked them curiously.

"The house is about to fall down, so we won't be able to live there anymore," Chunky answered.

"Yes, I realized it, I just saw it," Diddy said, before looking towards the boat they were putting together. "What is that boat for? Will we go for a walk by the sea?" he asked them with small laughs.

Suddenly, the four of them looked at each other with some seriousness at such a question, and then they looked silently at Diddy, as if they had something important to tell him.

"I think we didn't tell you, Diddy," Tiny replied in a low tone, "but... we'll try to go back to our island where we lived."

"W-what?!" Diddy exclaimed at such a sudden announcement made by his new friends. "Will you go away?"

"Yes... that's what we have to do," Dixie responded in the same way. "We'll try to find our island."

"But... you know the way, right?" Diddy asked them.

"Well, actually... no, but we'll try to get there," Dixie responded with a forced smile.

Diddy seemed quite surprised at what they were telling him; his new friends had never mentioned that to him.