Chapter 49: Wrench

The next day had arrived, so Diddy and Dixie were getting ready. To tell the truth, they were not so in the mood to go and continue working on that ship, and they had even considered not going. But anyway, they decided to continue.

They assumed that Mr. Pinky would have already arrived during the early morning. They went back up to his house, took a look out the window, but to their surprise... there was no sign of him being there, and the door was still secured. All their things in the house could be seen intact, just as they had seen them the night before.

"Hasn't he arrived?" Dixie said worriedly.

"Apparently not," Diddy replied in the same tone. "Could it be that he has been kidnapped?... Or did the hurricane pass through the way he traveled?"

"I hope not, or maybe he had to stay there longer," Dixie said, trying to stay calm. "Although he didn't tell us anything."

Both were already worrying enough, since Mr. Pinky had never left like this, but they still wanted to think that he would return and had only had a mishap in the place he went, so it would take a little longer.

Diddy and Dixie left the house, still hoping that they would find Mr. Pinky when they returned. They were both very hungry, so they went looking for some bananas among the trees. They had some time that they could not get food autonomously.

Then, they made their way, albeit reluctantly, to the site where they were building the ship. After all, they couldn't waste all the work they had done, despite things weren't going so well with their four friends. Besides, they had promised to help them return to DK Island, something they had both wanted so much since they were in the circus.

They arrived at the construction site and were met by Ricky and Melvyn, who greeted them with apparent normalcy this time.

"Hey, how are you, friends?!" Ricky greeted them, smiling at them... In fact, he did it as he used to before. Diddy and Dixie greeted them as well. "You know what? We're going to finish our ship soon!"

"Yeah, it only needs a few small pieces, some adjustments and that's all!" Melvyn added, looking excited.

"Really?" Diddy replied with a forced smile. "That's nice."

"That's right," Ricky added, maintaining excitement. "And that means you'll soon be back on your island!"

"And we'll take you home first on our journey," Melvyn said cheerfully. "This trip is especially for our best friends we've ever had," he added, giving Diddy and Dixie a few little nudges of excitement.

Both smiled at the gesture, although deep down they didn't feel as excited as they did... And they weren't too happy with the "best friends they've ever had" label either.

"What are you waiting for? Let's finish the ship," Ricky said, inviting them.

"Hey... but this time we'll do something, right?" Diddy asked them with folded arms.

"Well, yes, why not?" Ricky replied, looking at them strangely before catching what they said. "Oh, hey, we haven't been excluding you, why do you keep hinting at that?"

"Yeah, where do you get those things?" Melvyn added in the same way. "We're your friends, how could we ignore you?"

"Well... I don't know if you've noticed," Dixie replied with a shrug, "but you've been very weird with us this week."

"What are you talking about?" Ricky said with a look of weirdness. "We're not weird with you; we've been building the boat as usual."

"Anyway, let's continue," Melvyn added, taking them by the arms. "Let's see the ship."