Chapter 98: The Final Farewell

The first minutes of sunset had arrived, and the pair of little kongs were on the beach near the animal shelter, where they had the ship ready to sail.

As expected, several animals from the island were there to accompany them in their last moments on the island. Among them, there were the animals that were from the circus, Mr. Pinky and the apes who owned the shelter, accompanying them in the front. The rescued kong children followed, who were also there to see Diddy and Dixie's farewell. And other animals that had been from the zoo or others that were new to that place, who were just curious about the farewell.

Diddy and Dixie were on board along with Mr. Pinky and some of their animal friends, who were helping them arrange some fruits and other items they might need as supplies for the long trip ahead.

Mr. Pinky was teaching them how to use the compass he had given them, while also giving them a map obtained from the post office, where the location of DK Island was.

"So... if I turn this direction..." Diddy said, holding the compass and the map, "and the needle points North and we're heading southwest, that means we are on the right track, doesn't it?"

"Exactly," Mr. Pinky replied. "You should be careful and stay alert in case there's a change in direction. However, don't worry too much; when the hurricanes end, the wind direction is usually favorable in that direction, but don't get too confident, of course. And if possible, take turns sleeping."

"Okay," Dixie replied, nodding. "I just hope there isn't another storm."

"And remember," the teacher added, pointing out, "if anything bad happens to the ship, run immediately to get the emergency boat, and if you can, take the compass and the map with you. Ah, and be careful with the box of documents that I gave you, you know, give it to Mrs. Wrinkly and Mr. Cranky."

"Okay, mister," Diddy replied with a nod.

"Hey, it looks like it's all set!" one of the animals exclaimed in the distance as they finished placing some boxes with fruits.

Diddy and Dixie gave the animals a nod as well, before they headed off the ship. Then, both with Mr. Pinky headed towards the boarding ramp of the ship.

"Well, kids..." Mr. Pinky said before going down, placing his hands on Diddy and Dixie's heads. "It seems that... everything has come to an end. It's your time."

"Oh... it's true," Dixie said, looking toward the teacher and the other animals in the distance.

"Well, so... we say goodbye here," the teacher said, smiling at them. "I think I won't see you again from now on."

Diddy and Dixie gave a look at Hurricane Island, which was within reach. Then, they looked at the entire herd of animals in the distance, before looking back at Mr. Pinky.

"Wow, I still don't believe this moment has come," Diddy said with a slight laugh, before speaking to the teacher. "Hey, Mr. Pinky... will you ever go to DK Island again?" he asked with a cheerful smile.

"Yeah, you'll return there, right?" Dixie asked in the same way.

"Maybe I will... Although for now, I don't have it planned," the teacher replied. "But who knows; maybe one day I'll take a stroll over there."

"And will you be our teacher again?" Dixie asked curiously.

"Well, I don't think that," he replied.

"Oh, you have to be, of course," Diddy added, shaking his arm.

"Hey, that's going to be unlikely," the teacher replied with a little laughter. "That time I was just a substitute teacher; besides, you know I also have a job at another school."