Chapter 44: Old Friends?

The next day, the kong couple headed back to their friends, this time to the specific ship construction site. Everything seemed to be going normally... until the moment they arrived, when they found something curious: their four friends were talking to about five kong children... and those hadn't been seen the day before, apparently.

"Hey, hi, friends, how's it going?!" Ricky greeted them along with the group when he saw them both arrive.

"Hi... how are you?" Diddy and Dixie replied smiling at them, but at the same time, showing curiosity about the other kong children who were with them.

"Oh, yes, we introduce you to a few more friends who arrived," Mandy said, pointing to them and answering Diddy and Dixie's doubts. "And by the way, we warn you once and for all that more of them will keep coming these days, so don't be surprised."

"You must be Diddy and Dixie, right?!" one of the new children asked them with joy.

"Hello. Yes... the same ones," the two replied, smiling somewhat confused.

"Are you from a distant island?" asked another of the new children.

"Yes, of course. From DK Island," Diddy replied.

"You're also from several islands, aren't you?" Dixie asked.

"Yes, you guessed it," one of the children replied with a little laughter. "I guess Ricky and company must have already told you the story."

The new kongs also began interrogating Diddy and Dixie. They were both trying to appear normal, but deep down, they were also wondering why more of those old friends of their four friends had arrived. It wasn't something that bothered them, but anyway, it was as if they weren't so prepared to hang around with more new children suddenly.

After so much introduction, the four invited them again to continue with the ship, and so it was: that day they continued with the structural base of that boat. Now all the children present there helped in the work. With the arrival of the new kongs that day, the herd looked a little bigger. In the moments of rest, Diddy and Dixie talked to the new ones: they were almost the same as those they had met the day before, and anyways, they also managed to sympathize with them.

The next few days of that week were the same: everyone was focused on building the ship and was doing very well during the process, obviously with one or another problem involved, but they always managed to solve it, and the four friends of Diddy and Dixie were there to help them. Diddy and Dixie were becoming more and more convinced that they wouldn't be so far away from being able to return to DK Island in a few weeks, but at the same time, they had to think about how they would tell Mr. Pinky without getting him being alarmed; they had managed to get along super well with him and didn't want to see him disappointed in them or betray his trust.

As their friends had previously warned, something happened every day that surprised Diddy and Dixie, and that was that every day, newer kongs arrived, who claimed to be old friends of the four. They had become about forty new children who even had to set up small temporary huts for them to stay overnight. Even so, having more helping hands meant better work and more significant advancement with the ship. Diddy and Dixie were already more comfortable to be able to meet them all and manage to sympathize with them, although at the same time... they felt that there was something strange about them, but they couldn't explain to themselves what it was.

Among other details, there was something that didn't cease to catch the attention, especially from Dixie, and... it was Jenny. As Dixie mentioned: she had been noticing certain weird behaviors from her over the past few days. Dixie didn't want to create bad thoughts in her head... but now she realized that she was right. On certain occasions, she caught Jenny staring at Diddy sideways... as if waiting for some ideal moment to try to have exclusive contact with him, and so it was. Jenny, from time to time, tried to talk "accidentally" to Diddy; sometimes she asked him for favors that didn't even have to do with the ship... and she seemed to do it on purpose to be alone with him. Even so, Diddy was also aware of her attitude and when she hinted at something, and so he began to run away from her, make an excuse or even ask Dixie to accompany them as well. Dixie was uncomfortable with that and feeling some jealousy, but she didn't want to show it... at least not if there was no considerable reason. In addition, she didn't want to have any bad circumstances with Jenny, since after all she was one of her friends, whom she considered a lot.