Chapter 77: Preoccupations

Dixie had her eyes closed as she finished plunging into a deep sleep; she had hardly slept at all for two days. Suddenly, she regained her sense of reality and began to open her eyes little by little. She got up calmly as she sat up and rubbed her eyes, which were quite blurry at first. Then, she opened her eyes to the fullest when she realized where she was. She turned to look at the window immediately... although this time, she saw no trace of Diddy or anyone inside that room...

"Oh, you've woken up, little chimpanzee," someone said suddenly.

Dixie turned to look and realized that it was just another of the doctor-looking people, who was present in that same room. This person also carried a kind of tray with pieces of fruit, which he took to Dixie.

"Take this, it's for you. You must be hungry," the person said, smiling kindly.

Dixie gave a doubtful look at first, but then picked up one of those pieces of fruit, including banana, and proceeded to taste some. Those foods tasted great, so she continued to try them; she hadn't eaten anything in even a little over twenty-four hours.

"By the way, little girl, I have some news that might cheer you up a little," the person said, smiling at her, which caught Dixie's attention instantly as she continued to eat. "Well, he's not all fine yet, but... your little friend, the monkey, has been saved."

Dixie made a shocked gesture instantly as she felt an acceleration in her heartbeat. She turned again to look into the room where they had intervened Diddy previously and then looked at the person, gesturing as if asking where he was.

"Oh, no, no, he's not there anymore," the person commented. "They took him to another room; he has to stay and rest there... I'll take you so you can see him, do you want to?"

Dixie hurriedly finished her meal before nodding her head as a sign of confirmation.

Later, the person took her in his arms and carried her out of the room through the corridors. Dixie was eager to see Diddy; she felt a little air of hope coming back, and she couldn't wait to see him awake again... It was what she was most looking forward to. On the way, Dixie noticed through the windows of the corridors that it was still night hours.

Then, the person who carried her, began to climb some stairs until they reached a second floor, where he continued walking through the corridors there. Later, he entered with her into another room with all white walls, where there were several rolling stretchers of different sizes. In the end, a group of people were observed inspecting a couple of the stretchers, where perhaps there were some animals in them.

Suddenly, Dixie opened her eyes to the fullest when she saw on one of the first stretchers Diddy, who was lying with some kinds of devices connected to certain parts of his body such as arms, chest or nose, and was with a sheet around his feet. A pair of people were also around Diddy, apparently examining him. Dixie was instantly excited and showed as if she wanted to catch up with him, but the person was holding her. The only problem she had... it was that she still didn't see Diddy awake; he remained completely motionless, which again discouraged Dixie.

The person carried Dixie to the stretcher where Diddy was, and allowed her to stand on it for a closer look. Dixie looked at Diddy with some uncertainty, before turning to look at the people next to her.

"No, don't worry, the little monkey is fine," one of the people said, examining Diddy, giving her a smile. "Fortunately, they were able to save him. But he still has to recover, so for now he won't wake up until even tomorrow or the day after. He has to continue to rest and has to be taken care of."

Dixie didn't seem to fully understand the matter, but she was beginning to have a little more confidence in those people; after all, there had been improvements in the situation so far.