Chapter 39: In the Wee Hours

It was the wee hours of the morning and, of course, everyone would be sleeping soundly after a long day.

Dixie was sleeping in her hammock... Until at one point, she woke up suddenly as usually happens at some random time in the early morning. She settled back down to sleep... Not before hearing the door open, at the same time that footsteps resounded. Dixie turned and got up immediately to see what happened. Diddy was not present, so she assumed that he had gone outside the house for a while.

"Diddy?" Dixie called him as she walked out of the room; it was rare that Diddy wanted to go out at that time. "Diddy!"

Dixie looked everywhere and looked down the stairs to look for Diddy, but to her surprise, there was no sign of anyone. She didn't take importance at first, so she decided to re-enter the house to sleep.

Suddenly, Dixie was starting to have a bad feeling about it all. And from one moment to another, several footsteps were heard nearby. She knew something wasn't right and out of nowhere she began to tremble with fear and went back to inspect outside.

"Hi, Dixie," said a known voice that had not been heard for a while... and that Dixie didn't expect to hear at all. "How long without seeing each other... baby."

Dixie turned to look at him instantly and felt a turn in her stomach, while every part of her was trembling when she clearly realized who was a few meters away from her. She was paralyzed with fear, unable to move.

"J-Jem-Jemky?!" she stuttered with difficulty speaking. "W-what are you doing here?!"

"Oh, I was just looking for you everywhere and finally I found you, sweetie," replied the orangutan boy walking towards her while smiling at her. "Don't be afraid, nothing bad will happen, pretty."

"D-DIDDY! MR. PINKY!" Dixie shouted in terror as she ran into the room instinctively and closed the door immediately, then secured it so he wouldn't come in.

Dixie was in a state of panic as she called Diddy and Mr. Pinky in extreme desperation, knowing that seeing again with the group of school bullies would be certain revenge. It was never expected that on an island so far away they would find those bad children; it was the last thing she wanted to happen.

Suddenly, Jemky had knocked down the door in one fell swoop and headed back towards Dixie.

"Get out of here!" Dixie exclaimed as she threw to him any object at her hand. "Diddy, where are you?!"

"Oh, why are you looking for Diddy?" Jemky asked, dodging Dixie's attacks and sneering. "Is he already your boyfriend?"

"Yes! Does it hurt you?!" Dixie replied firmly.

"If it hurts me?" Jemky exclaimed before laughing. "Well, I would say yes, but... look there!" he added before pointing to the back of the room.

Dixie looked where he had pointed and, to her bad surprise, there were Mandrew, Melenky and Rocky surrounding Diddy, who was wrapped with ropes from his arms and legs and with vines covering his mouth.

"No! Let him go!" ordered Dixie as she ran towards him. "Let him-"

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?!" exclaimed Jemky, pulling out two guns and pointing it at Dixie before she could run to free Diddy.

Dixie froze, with all the fear engulfing her as she had Jemky in front of her in position with two guns in hand. Jemky then pointed one of the guns at Diddy, who also showed a terrified face and unable to speak or scream.

"And don't try to fight back this time, Dixie," Jemky ordered seriously. Then, he opened his vest a little and showed a wound in his chest, the product of the shot he had received from Dixie. "You're going to pay me for this!"

"Jemky, I s-swear it wasn't my intention to shoot you. I won't try to attack you this time, but please don't hurt us!" Dixie pleaded in despair and anguish as every part of her being trembled.

"Oh, calm down, pretty, I won't hurt you," Jemky said calmly as he approached her. "We're just going to get rid of that dumb monkey."

"Don't even dream about it!" Dixie replied.

"Well, that's right, pretty Dixie," Jemky said, hugging her. But a few seconds later, he let go and pushed her sharply. "Bah! We'll kill you both anyway!"

Jemky immediately opened fire and shot mercilessly at Diddy, then pointed at Dixie and shot her as well.

"NOOO!" Dixie shouted as hard as she could and her eyes closed.

"Dixie?!" Diddy's voice was heard.

Suddenly, Dixie felt a blow all over her body, opened her eyes, and realized that she was on the ground under her hammock. She looked up and saw Diddy watching her strangely, sitting on his hammock. Dixie was still trembling with fear; her heart was still racing and she felt the circulation to her feet. Then, she looked around trying to regain her senses.

"What's wrong, Dixie?" asked Diddy worriedly as he headed to help her up. "You fell and now look very scared."

Dixie was still silent as they both sat in her hammock. She looked at Diddy, and was relieved to see him well. Apparently, she had only had a bad dream because of the fears she had about the group of school bullies.

"N-nothing, Diddy," Dixie replied tremblingly. "It's just... I had a nightmare... very ugly."

"Really? What happened?" Diddy asked curiously.

"I was dreaming that here were... Jemky and company. Mandrew, Melenky and Rocky had you tied up, while Jemky was pointing at us to shoot. H-he showed me his wound from the shot I gave him and he wanted revenge, and then... he shot both of us.

"Oh no, that's really a nightmare," Diddy said, trying to calm Dixie and placing his hands on her shoulders. "Don't worry, it was just a dream, it's over. There are none of those fools around here, they don't even have to imagine where we are... The good thing about being here is that we are safe and away from those evil bullies."

Diddy hugged Dixie, as she continued to tremble with fear and try to regain her sense of reality.

"Diddy..." Dixie said after a while. "When we return to DK Island... what will we do if we meet those four thugs again?"

Diddy was silent for a moment; that question was also asked by himself every time he thought about returning to DK Island: could it be that the bully children would want to take revenge on them for what Dixie did to Jemky?

"I don't know either, Dixie... I'm afraid of it too, you know?" Diddy replied with complete sincerity. "But we could keep a low profile when we are near DK Island, then we'll ask others to help us face them or to protect us... And this time I'm going to report them and then tell Wrinkly to kick them out and talk to their parents or something... I hope everything goes well."

"I don't want to have a runaway life again," Dixie commented worriedly.

"That won't happen, Dixie, don't worry. I'm sure that together at DK Island we'll be able to join forces. But for now, we'll just have to wait... We'll be fine for now."

"I hope so, Diddy."

Dixie was still very worried about what might happen when they returned to DK Island. On the one hand, she did want to return home, but on the other, she didn't know if they would be at risk; that was something that both of them were concerned about as well.

"How will everyone be on DK Island?" Dixie asked herself after a while and with a tone of concern.

"I just hope they haven't become desperate for us," Diddy added in the same tone. "But anyway... we can't know now. We just have to wait for the day when we return."

Diddy stayed with her for a while longer to keep her company and hug her until she fully recovered. Later, both went back to sleep each in their hammock. Sometimes, the early mornings where they woke up at random times used to be the lowest moments of their days on Hurricane Island, as it was where thoughts and uncertainties about returning to DK Island invaded their minds. Likewise, they were the hours where they remembered most of their respective relatives of DK Island.