Chapter 81: A Last Hope

Almost a couple of hours passed, while Diddy continued at Dixie's side. He didn't even want to take care of his own wound on his abdomen; he could only think of accompanying her. His crying stopped and returned several times, while staring at Dixie and caressing her hair or face. Suddenly... Diddy listened and saw that the door of that room had opened again. He barely looked up weakly without even taking into account that a couple of people had entered.

"Oh, no, the little monkey here again," one of the people said, astonished and heading towards Diddy. "No, no, little monkey, you can't stay here."

Suddenly, the person tried to take him in his arms, but Diddy refused to let go of Dixie; he wanted to hold on to her as much as he could.

"Come here, little monkey," the person said as he grabbed his torso, but Diddy still did not let go of Dixie. Until later, the other person pushed his arms away from Dixie. "You must go to rest, little one. Your little friend, uhh... Well, she has to rest too."

"Wow, it seems that they were both very good friends," the other person commented.

The people took Diddy back in their arms, while he didn't look away from Dixie until the last second with still watery eyes.

Later, the people left Diddy again on his stretcher, in the same room where Jemky's quartet was. But this time, none of the four were there, except for Melenky, who was still asleep.

The people then checked Diddy again and examined his wound. Meanwhile, he only showed a low and empty look, as if he was not in his five senses.

Minutes later, the people took Diddy back in their arms and carried him to another place, although this time he did not even want to put up resistance; it just seemed as if he didn't care about anything at that moment. After a tour, the people reached the ground floor of the building, and headed towards a site that was outdoors. Diddy looked up again when the place caught his eye... This one looked like the jungle itself, only it also had certain colorful objects similar to toys.

Suddenly, he could see Jemky, Rocky and now also Mandrew, in the company of some people who were placing some colorful boards that had rubber balls attached, all of different colors. The three kids looked strangely at those objects and then at the people, who were showing them how they worked.

"How have these little ones behaved?" one of the people asked, who carried Diddy in his arms and placed him next to the quartet.

"So far they have been calm," another of the people replied. "Well, maybe it's because they're just recovering. The little orangutan has shown certain rebellious attitudes when we have tried to interact with him. The mandrill has signs of aggressive behavior. The capuchin monkey shows a lot of distrust, but it seems that it's the one that best grasps the explanations."

"I saw that coming; we can see that these little ones have certain psychological deviations... First of all, they were also involved in the matter of the massacre; what kind of environment must they have had in their lives?"

The kids from the quartet gave a few odd glances towards the people, but then downplayed it. Then, everyone looked at Diddy, whom the people had placed in a stall next to them and handed him one of those boards as well.

Later, the people retreated and left the kongs alone. The latter only looked strangely at the peculiar object that had been given to them.

"And what is this thing?" Mandrew asked with a look of disgust.

"It looks like a baby toy," Jemky said in the same way, before pressing one of the rubber balls that was there, which bounced instantly and made a sudden sound. "But what...?" he added before pressing more of those spheres consecutively, apparently causing him to smile. "Hey, this sounds good, give it a try."